Can we block the Evony ads on the forum now please?

I’ll even send him a slice of my delicious dark chocolate pie even though he locked our nice cake vs. pie-thread - that’s how much I appreciate him creating this place and letting me in.

I’d be happy to subscribe to Quarter to Three. I already subscribe to Rock, Paper, Shotgun and I think this forum provides services and entertainment in a similar vein.

Tom, if you set up a PayPal subscription in whatever amount you feel is reasonable I’ll subscribe. I’m sure you have enough of an unpaid job in moderating the board, no reason you should shoulder all the cost, too. Well, minus the ad revenue, anyway.

No offense intended, but your browser may have caught a case of the Ren Fests.

When people make claims that your ad campaign is sexist or exploitative, the simplest solution is often to expand and exploit everyone rather than try to not be exploitative.

So, silly question: has anyone actually PLAYED Evony? What’s it like?

Can we do this, please? I’m not bothered by the ads, really (Tom has removed a couple specific ones in the past that I think played sound, and the really NSFW Evony ads don’t run here), but I can’t imagine they bring in enough to account for a substantial portion of the by-now-obscene-I-am-sure costs associated with the site. I mean, I’d rather the people who used this forum kicked in the ten or twenty or however many dollars a year than have Tom just eat the entire cost of it minus whatever paltry morsels he recoups from the ads.

How would you feel about this, Tom? Should there be a poll?

Alternatively, Tom could open an Amazon wish list and we could just buy him things to offset the costs of the site. He’d be like a slutty cam-girl, but with forum access instead of nudity. A forum-girl, if you will.

The answer to this question, in any context, is always yes.

Cam-girls do this?

My, I haven’t been visiting the dark side of the internet enough lately. I’m getting out of touch.

You know, now that you mention subscriptions. Somethingawful forums charged a one time 10 dollar fee to join. Not only does that help with bandwidth costs, but is also tends to scare away some less than desireable folks. Mind you, SA is still filled with screaming mouth breathers still, but it could be one hell of alot worse with open free registration.

Yep, thus the name cam-whores. THey do unspeakable things so they can afford all their Fallout Boy and Nickleback CD’s and suchlike.

VVV Or post count…

It would be awesome if Tom used a service that allowed him to retain credit card information, so every time we piss him off he could institute an instant fine.

REPORTED, you dirty VM!

;)

Tom occasionally posts his PayPal info. I’ve sent him some money once or twice. You can probably find it by googling.

And if Tom needs more money, he can just ban several accounts randomly and then ask for a fee to unban.

I never see the Evony ads here, but that’s because I have Flash disabled. Sorry Tom, but it’s for security reasons, rather that screw-you-ads reasons.

(Now that could be an interesting topic of discussion. If ads start regularly using, say, Silverlight, does that create an obligation in me to install Silverlight, or is it their own fault for shutting out parts of their audience? Could the same be said of Flash, or is it ubiquitous enough to be considered a mandatory part of the web?)

Hahaha, yeah, I think Lowtax does that on occasion. People just love giving that guy money, I’ve seen people create sockpuppet accounts and purposly get themselves banned just to donate cash.

I doubt anyone really cares if you block the ads or not, just don’t post “screw you, I’m blocking your ads and you can’t stop me” on that same site. It’s rude.

As for subscriptions, if the site went subscription-only, I would leave.

But why?

People who subscribe to forums are suckers.