Cantata - Weird sci-fi & tactics (early access)

And the game releases next month

Does this have procedural maps or is it a one and done campaign game?

It has both map editor and skirmish (they flash quickly as titles in the trailer), so it isn’t only a campaign. Also, a quick google search showed this

which seems to imply there is random maps.

I just had a quick look at the tutorial video and my first thought is: you have all that incredible artwork…

…but then the whole UI uses Arial?

I hope that’s just the Early Access typeface!

You’ll be glad to learn that the dialogues are displayed using Times New Roman during the game.

Noooooooo!

Something something Comic Sans

Game is out, user reviews are at decent 81%.

I like how the human faction captures regions by taking a step or two across the border and then slamming as many flags into the ground as possible.

I’ve had this game on my wishlist and have been curious about it but the visual aesthetic of the game is really off-putting to me. I’m certainly not saying it’s objectively bad or anything, but it is unpleasant for me to look at. Unfortunately that does create a bit of a barrier to entry.

It’s something I can get over if the game is good enough (Deity Empires is downright fugly but I enjoyed that game quite a bit!), though. Has anyone here been playing it or have any impressions?

I need to play it more, I’m still on the first mission. I really want to try the other factions.

So far it’s been way too slow. Think if you took Advance Wars, but put it on absolutely gigantic maps. It takes a long time to do anything.

I also do not like the color scheme.

The color scheme looks like Elle Woods’ wardrobe. Not sure I could get past that.

But the aesthetic was the reason I wishlisted this :D :D

Yeah, that’s where I wanted to be clear that I’m not declaring it’s bad or anything. That kind of thing is so subjective! And the game sure does stand out. :)

Yeah, I think that’s the thing with any distinct art style, not to mention pixel art. Like TurinTur, it was certainly what drew my attention to Cantata! The visuals remind me of Troika and X-COM, which is really cool. I hope the game holds up.

It’s a shame about all that Arial :)

I think it is a sign if all we are talking about is the art. Is the game any good - the big difference is that it contained supply elements?

If it’s helpful, I can confirm that the game has no manual, which is why I’m not playing it. The game had a manual, but it was apparently out of date. So now the developers are now waiting for someone to put together a wiki. : /