Captain Marvel - The Marvel Carol Danvers one, not the DC Billy Batson one

I think every Marvel Studios released movie has been part of the MCU, such that the two are effectively the same thing. The one I’m not 100% sure about is the Norton Hulk, but IIRC, Downey shows up as Stark in that so I think it is, too.

MCU (movies) started with Iron Man and doesn’t include every Marvel movie.

Iron Man is the first MCU movie and the Norton Hulk is the second.

Sony owns Spider-Man and associated properties (Venom, Morbius, etc.)… they are working with Marvel/Disney on Spider-Man and have an arrangement about him and the MCU (started with Civil War and Homecoming).

Fox owned X-Men and associated properties (New Mutants, Deadpool etc.) as well as the FF and associated properties. Both of those will revert to Disney/Marvel, AFAIK.

Part of the sale of the rights from Marvel (which basically saved Marvel from bankruptcy in the '90’s) was that the rights would revert if movies weren’t released every 2 years or thereabouts - meaning a lot of dreck could (and did) get pushed to keep the rights.

Which I seem to recall was a part of the reason Marvel cancelled the FF comic books, but don’t hold me to that.

Not sure Marvel has ever officially said so, but it’s certainly been speculated that a lot of their comics moves over the last several years have been to pump the characters they had movie licenses for and deprecate the ones they didn’t. Which has sucked for me as someone who was primarily a fan of the X-Men and related characters and who never read a single Avengers title prior to the MCU.

I don’t know what any of that has to do with MCU. Fantastic Four, neither of them, are part of MCU.

Which Marvel Studios movies aren’t MCU? I wasn’t aware of any. Agreed on the not every “Marvel” (e.g., X-men, FF4, some Spiderman) movie is not MCU.

FF, Fantastic Four. The post I responded to.

I think he’s saying that some theorize that Marvel didn’t support comics for the licensed out properties, in hopes that they would then revert to Marvel.

I am not sure what your’e trying to tell me but here’s how this went.

Someone brought Fantastic Four as marvel shit. It is, absolutely, Marvel. Yes it’s Fox but more importantly it is not MCU. MCU is not just Marvel Movies, it’s a whole… thing. Phases and everything. When comparing to Marvel, most people are talking about MCU, the movies that have long-term plans and have had long-term runs.

We’re going to see a number of movies in the future. It’s not certain all of them will be MCU or not, but right not, the big ones, the highlights, those are MCU. That’s the cookie they, competitors, want to copy.

As far as I can tell from the Wiki page, it was essentially produced by Fox (or at least Fox at the wheel with the studio “1492” created by one of the producers).

I think all this comes down to what some (or perhaps just me) mean when we refer to a “Marvel-made movie”. For me, it’s not just the characters/IP, it’s the studio. Was Marvel Studios (e.g., Feige) at the helm? Licensed out IP is a whole other thing: Marvel doesn’t have creative control.

In that vein, I’m unaware of any Marvel Studios-produced movie that is not part of the MCU. I don’t think they fork to truly create one-offs (yet?).

Marvel is a company that created a bunch of characters.

Marvel Studios is a movie production studio.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a collection of films that share continuity.

Every Marvel Studios film has been a part of the MCU. Spider-Man: Homecoming (and its upcoming sequel) has the distinction of being co-produced by Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios.

No Fantastic Four or X-Men film has been a part of the MCU, none of them have been produced by Marvel Studios. They are all based on Marvel characters.

I think most of us know most of this, I think it was just unclear at points which Marvel each of us were discussing.

I believe Anklebiter here was referring to all Marvel characters.

I believe Pyperkub was assigning blame by production studio or MCU status. And then we all said all the things.

Yeah, the guy above me knows his stuff. Iron Man was the first film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and all Marvel Studios moves since, including Spider-Man Homecoming, are part of ongoing continuity.

X-Men films, Punisher films, Fantastic Four films, Deadpool, Howard the Duck, Blade, Ghost Rider, Daredevil films, Spider-Man pre-Homecoming, Venom… all not part of continuity.

I understand where you’re coming from but here is how this actually works, the average person doesn’t care which studio made what. It’s whether or not the movies are linked. If they’re Marvel characters, they’re Marvel movies. I mean, they just are.

In the future, we don’t even know if Disney is going to keep them in the same studio for ever. Heck some TV shows are MCU too. I haven’t watched any of them, but I know they are or were linked.

Everything from DC so far has been distributed by Warner Bros, sometimes with different studios (I think). It’s a slightly different approach from a production standpoint, but beginning with Man of Steel, all the DC movies have been part of the “DC Extended Universe”, their version of a MCU shared continuity.

In contrast, all the MCU films have been produced by Marvel Studios, though pre-Avengers they weren’t all the same distributed by the same company (Incredible Hulk was Universal, the others were Paramount). They’ve been distributed by Disney starting with the first Avengers movie, and the joint production of Spider-Man: Homecoming was distributed by Sony.

DC/Warner Bros is breaking from their approach so far with the Joaquin Phoenix Joker film due later this year, which is not part of the DCEU.

I think you’re on shaky ground when you start trying to speak for what the average person does and doesn’t follow in all of this. The average person might not know the Fantastic Four characters are a Marvel property at all any more than they’d know the FF movies were Fox Studios productions.

My original point was that MCU and Marvel Studios are synonymous, in both directions. I think moviegoers are aware when a movie is MCU versus Marvel-character-but-not MCU. Which basically means they’re segmenting in the same way pyperkub did—Marvel, Marvel versus non-Marvel Marvel. Beyond that, it is admittedly semantics.

Now that X-Men and FF are owned by Disney, they can be part of the MCU.

To a degree, I take the large part the Skrulls had in Captain Marvel as an indication of this. I would not be surprised whatever if the FF came back and joined the MCU.

Also, while not an MCU movie AFAIK, the new Dark Phoenix movie did have Kevin Feige (generally speaking, the architect of the MCU movies) come in and work on the script while the Disney/Fox acquisition was in progress. So don’t be surprised when they become part of the MCU as well.

I think it shows Marvel doesn’t it?

They might not know but it doesn’t really change the source. That’s a Marvel character. It’s not like that changes based on the studio or whether or not it’s a good movie.

I feel like you keep acting like you are teaching me something. I am fully aware of the deal between Disney and Fox.

Anyone’s guess as to what Disney is going to do with their new found material. They could of course become part of MCU. They are not today.

I don’t think it’s as obvious in the opposite direction (of Nesrie) as you think either.