Cars 2: Tokyo Drift

I never seen the first Cars movie, mostly because I didn’t care for the character design. I have no interest in the sequel.

The original Cars was pleasant enough, and better than A Bug’s Life IMO, but it wasn’t exactly classic Pixar. The trailer for the sequel has me at a whole new level of meh.

I’m still upset they did Cars 2 instead of Incredibles 2. Didn’t enjoy the first one, doubt I’ll see the second. I’m not a huge fan of the personification of inanimate objects.

But little kids in the aisles at Toys R Us sure are!

Oh no doubt. I’m sure that most kids will love the movie and associated merchandise.

Exactly. From what I’ve heard (and am too lazy too Google at the moment), Cars is their leading merchandise machine, followed by Toy Story. I’m very “meh” on this movie as well, but know I’ll end up seeing it with my little guy. It’s the first time I’d rather go see a Dreamworks film (Kung Fu Panda 2) over a Pixar one… Then again I liked “How to Train Your Dragon” last year better then Toy Story 3. Interesting development here…

Ouch!!! 39% at RT with 67 reviews. Is that the worst-reviewed Pixar movie ever? It’s definitely the worst-reviewed movie with Lasseter as director.

Bummer, because I was looking forward to it on general principles – my son is almost four, which should mean this would be perfect. But if it sucks… well… shit, man, that sucks!

I always got the feeling that Cars was really Lasseter’s baby (he’s a notorious autophile, AFAIK). I guess he just got indulgent. Wonder if this is a fluke or the beginning of a really bad run for Pixar.

It might not be for critics, but that doesn’t mean kids and parents won’t love it.

Man, you guys always surprise me in the best way. I’ve never criticized Cars because I love Pixar and it made them an oil tanker of money, but man I though it was so mediocre. Yay shared taste!

H.

Buh? Previous Pixar flicks were loved by all. If the critics hate this, it’s a safe bet that many parents will too, and many kids bored. Don’t underestimate kids’ discernment.

More generally, the issue is how Lasseter could go from literally six 85%+ movies in a row to a 40%- movie. This breaks Pixar’s streak, and that matters.

He came in mid-production to “rescue” the film IIRC.

I wonder if Bird’s departure put any chance of Incredibles 2 on the baaaaaaack burner. Would be a shame if true.

If they did a Cars 3 that explains what happened to all the people, I’d so watch that.

The actual sequel to Cars 2

Sigh…

Hahaha! I get it.

Oh wait, it’s real.

Brad Bird left Pixar???

Yepperootie. Last year, more or less, because he wanted to direct live action (he’s directing the next Mission: Impossible movie starring Mr. Scientology). But evidently he hopes/plans to return one day.

I have difficulty seeing that turn out well, even if it is Brad Bird.

Apparently, some conservative groups are getting their feathers ruffled because Big Oil is the villain of the movie.