CES 2020

That doesn’t mean that shows will actually be in 4K though, right? I mean maybe the local news, but it’s not like the local ABC affiliate can force national ABC to master shows in 4K.

From what I understand, unless you’re filming with 4K cameras for live broadcast, you’re not getting 4K broadcast. Almost everything will be upscaled. Even TV shows have to be filmed in 4K or on film to get the kind of quality you would expect from a true 4K program.

I hadn’t kept up with the news but looks like my market is included which is nice. The bigger selling point for me is that it’s expected to improve reception for people at the edge of broadcast range - most of my towers are 20-25 miles away and I end up with some pixellation or channels that just refuse to work from time to time.

On the other hand, SiliconDust was silent at CES and looks to be taking a “we’ll believe it when we see it” approach to marketing a new ATSC 3.0 tuner.

I’m sure they will start filming TV shows at native 8k soon enough. Compared to the cost of the production, the hardware is nothing. Most YouTubers film at 4k now, and some can handle 8k too, they just don’t bother uploading it because nobody has an 8k display yet.

I dunno man… new cameras cost money and it’s taking forever for sports to get to 4K where they make a lot of money broadcasting Live programming. As I often find with your “It’s the future!” posts, you’re being way too optimistic.

It’s the chicken and egg thing. I remember HDTVs were around for a long time, but when that broadcast standard finally changed and every channel started broadcasting in HD, the amount of HD content being filmed for TV went up at incredible speed as everyone switched.

There was an awkward period where TNT and other cable channels were broadcasting 4:3 ratio stuff by stretching it in weird ways on their “HD” channels instead of just putting black bars on the side. But luckily we don’t have to go through that this time since the aspect ratio is not changing, just the resolution.

They put the volume of these smaller PCs in perspective:

So the NUC 9 Extreme is about the same volume as a PS4 Pro. The Cooler Master NC100 is about the size of a Series X. And the Razer is a bit bigger than a Series X.

Seems like this would be a good time to launch this product.

If it comes with toilet paper included then it’ll sell out instantly.