Cheap and good mechanical keyboard:

Then you have the not-cheap stuff:

Man it feels weird to think of Ducky as “the not cheap stuff.” market has changed a lot since I was agonizing over how to source a Filco back in 2010!

What do folks here thing about keyboards with analog keys like the Wooting One? Anyone have one? They sound like they would be really nice for a gamer to have.

I’m not sure they’d solve the bad control around M+K for games like Cyberpunk 2077 where driving is all-or-nothing-digital via normal keyboard keys. Having analog keys would in theory solve that but I think the sensation of trying to moderate the key presses to control (driving for example in CP2077) would feel quite weird and unwieldy to me.

Yeah, I don’t have one, but I imagine the problem there would be game support.

Apparently you can bind multiple controls to the same key that depends on how far the key is pressed. For example, you can bind a key being pressed halfway down to a game’s walk control and the same key being pressed all the way down to run. It sounds incredibly useful.

Based on this review from a few years ago, you are correct.

Brief Google says this is the sort of thing you need to endure to add support to what was supposed to be the biggest game of 2020.

Yeah, paid beta tester is not something I have time to be on top of alpha testing incomplete overly-ambitious games.

Amazon lightning deal. TKL with Outemu red/blue/brown switches for $39.09 USD. It’s not wireless like in the OP, but it does have per-key RGB.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HTZQYV

Oh man you almost tricked me into buying a keyboard without a ten key number pad. :P

TKL=tenkeyless. Gotta learn the lingo!

Which is a horrible trend in the mechanical keyboard market. In the Mac world it’s all about minimalist everything, so getting a full sized keyboard is difficult. There are options, but it is limited. I get not everyone knows 10-key, but don’t gamers want want a numpad?

Numpads are awesome, though I’ve never understood why they don’t put an additional Backspace within reach. I just got a new work laptop, 17" screen so big enough it even has a Numpad!

While I occasionally miss my tenkey pad when doing lots of data entry, I have to admit that for 90% of my use cases, it’s more convenient to have a smaller desktop footprint and less travel distance from mouse to keyboard.

I would be open to a matching separate numpad that can be used as needed, but that doesn’t seem to be a popular option. I use a numpad constantly though, I am probably not a normal use case.

I figured people are using these things in the living room, or other places where they wouldn’t want a full-sized keyboard. Maybe some folks like the aesthetics? I definitely need the numpad for work though.

Aside from all these keyboards on Amazon, Walmart offers a $45 mechanical keyboard through their onn. brand, featuring knockoff blue switches, 10-key, and more robust RGB options than most of the cheap options on Amazon. I’ve been using it for a while and like it, but I had a key start dying on me recently, so I had to order a new one. (Before this thread went up, sadly.)

Since I’ve been doing a lot of shopping on Aliexpress these days, I went there for my replacement keyboard, and my experience in the $40-60 range there has been that you can easily get keyboards with 10-key and a variety of switch options, but they tend to be pretty ugly. For example, this is the one I ended up ordering:

As far as wanting a smaller keyboard goes, I could see myself wanting something as small as possible, like a 60% keyboard, to carry in a bag with a tablet or similar, but I need 10-key for daily use, so I have to have a 100% keyboard for my daily driver. (As an aside, the 60% keyboards on Amazon with wireless capabilities are more expensive than the wireless 70% and 80% keyboards from the same brands, which seems weird.)

I actually got that Tecware keyboard a couple of months back! I have limited desk space in my wfh setup, and getting a TKL keyboard really helped in that respect. I’m not really a mechnical keyboard expert but I like it.

Anyone into Evangelion anime?

I picked up one of these the other day. Other than the keycap font, I like it better than my K2. Really feels like the old IBM keyboards.