Cheap and good mechanical keyboard:

How is it better? Is this for your Mac? Does it work out of the box with a Mac? I have been playing with the idea of getting a Keychron, mainly because they make keyboards for Macs, so no jumping through hoops like most other manufacturers to get it set up to work right.

The typing is better, at least for me. I like the Magic Keyboard generally but the double shot PBT keycaps means they never get oily like all normal keyboards get from my fingers. Its BT works out of the box with Macs. I purchased it to hedge against a butterfly keyboard switch MacBook.

But it does have a command key in the proper spot without using Karabiner? Does it come with Mac key caps? I don’t see mention of key caps on Amazon.

It’s on my PC and Work laptop so it’s a PC layout. I like the feel and travel better and it makes a very satisfying clunk noise.

No, they don’t come with Mac-specific keycaps but I imagine you can get them if you wanted to.

19 votes and 7 comments so far on Reddit

Yes, the CMD key is out of place (Windows placement) and you’d need Karabiner. I leave it as-is since I hop in and out of both Windows/Mac.

Being cheap was the number one for me since I’m on a budget. It pairs nicely with my white MX Anywhere 3 mouse. Both devices work on 3 devices.

I have never used blue switches, not sure I could handle the noise. Although, I was playing with the idea of getting a full size KB with hot swapable switches and putting blues on the numpad. I could see the click being handy there.

I will probably just get a Keychron, just struggling to figure out if I should risk getting a TKL. I do number data entry a fair bit, but I wouldn’t mind having a smaller keyboard (and a compressed full-size won’t work for me).

I have used/bought them and resold quickly as they are TOO noisy. Cherry MX Browns and Red or their clones (like with the RK keyboard) are much better for a balanced tactile + quieter.

My Keychron K1 has low profile blue and it’s a little smushy for my tastes. I love the sound of the double-impact blues. I might replace the key caps on my K1 since I find I am typing more with the flat key faces.

Just ordered a Keychron C1 (full sized, wired) with browns. Will order some blue switches at some point to test them with the numpad.

Keychron’s stuff is cheap compared to a lot of the stuff out there, so I guess it fits this thread.

This is what I’m after.

• 60% form factor
  • Hybrid connectivity w/ Bluetooth, preferably v5
  • Aluminium body
  • PBT doubleshot keycaps, side-printed arrows on IJKL
  • Gateron or Cherry browns
  • PC & Mac support

Is there such a thing? I’ve found stuff that comes close (like Keychron K12, which doesn’t have PBT), but nothing that has it all. :)

I guess it’s buy a keyboard, then buy keycaps separately?

Apropos of nothing in particular, as a PSA I will say that while silver switches like on my Hyper X Alloy FPS RGB are great for gaming, they suck donkey schlong for typing. Constantly doubled letters are nearly unavoidable. Also, any slight pressure like if you brush up against it with your wrist will trigger a key press. The keyboard is very nice otherwise, but I could never use it for anything other than gaming really.

After tackling my pickiness about mice and mousepads, I have graduated to the newest annoyance of keyboards!

Just ordered one of these in blue: Keychron Q1 QMK Custom Mechanical Keyboard Knob Version

And I already fear the sickness, as I ordered switches to try from somewhere else, and a few cheap things ‘in case’ I care to make some simple mods…but I fear that rabbit hole greatly.

My real hope is that this will be amazing and even if I prefer the other switches I ordered that I will hopefully not feel compelled to do anything beyond that to it.

Aww shit, they got you man. You’re in it now!

I’ve been sitting here diddling with the number pad I ordered, which is probably not as nice as the actual keyboard, and it sounds and feels so much better than what I have it’s stupid.

So yeah…I’m probably fucked. Next thing you know I’ll be taping and lubing taxidermy squirrel dicks in everything for the sound profile or some crazy shit.

Yeah, you’ll be installing special noise baffles and posting videos so we can all hear how your keys “thonk”.

It arrived today.

I’ll admit that I believed that this was a silly extravagance, but honestly it’s the best thing I’ve ever typed on in my life.

I’m much more impressed than I anticipated.

Hehehehehe…“knob”.

I’ll have you know that this knob is awesome. And programmable.

I’m filled with shame. I bought this: