Christopher Nolan's TENET (2020)

If they get bogged down in nerdy details like, can they shift 5:29 minutes or can they only shift 5:12 minutes, and try to explain this to the audience, then it’s going to be bad. Star Trek does this and it’s okay because it’s Star Trek. But this is a ultra spy movie for a more or less mainstream audience, and people are just going to (rightfully) roll their eyes.

That trailer though and the music… If the whole movie is like that then I won’t be able to handle it. Too intense. (Plus unless some kind of miracle happens most likely I won’t like the politics.)

I hope whatever explanation we need would be like Inception’s, which was visually impressive and not too long, though the heist format gave them a different opportunity to breathe than I suppose this one will.

Meh. I rewatched the trailer. The first time it really gripped me and I read waaaaaaaay too much into it. I must have been tripping or something.

Not even watching the teaser.

I find going into Nolan’s films as blind as possible is great. Trailers reveal too much.

It’s obvious the film is a sequel to the Adam Sandler movie Click.

I read a description of the IMAX prologue (basically the [likely] first scene of the movie that serves as a stand-alone setpiece, like the Joker bank heist from The Dark Knight and Bane’s plane escape in The Dark Knight Rises), and it basically sounds like Chris Nolan mixing James Bond with Quantum Break.

Does anyone else think that the trailer was extremely well made?

I’ve revisited it several times over the last couple of weeks and I think it has to be one of the more engaging that I can recall seeing: voice over lines that are presented without any of the context they’ll have in the film but actually make sense when strung together for the trailer, brief snippets of action set pieces that are unique yet don’t spoil any particular pay offs that the film may have, and the way that the music interweaves everything is masterful. It almost gives the impression that everything was made precisely for the purposes of this trailer, instead of being a haphazard edit of footage that was all done for a film.

Nolan has always done well with well crafted trailers that tease but dont tell.

Nolan, you son of a bitch, I’m in.

*but not in theaters, sorry

Am I the only one that thinks “in theaters” for July is a wee bit optimistic? Formal restrictions or not, crowds are going to be low; I hope they provide an online premiere opportunity, this has broad enough appeal in our household that it would be worth it at the elevated pricing for new releases.

It sounded more like a threat to me than a celebration

Postponed again, to august 12th. I’ve seen the extended trailer in I-MAX, and based on that I’d love to see the entire movie in that setting. But I’m not so sure I will risk going to the cinema, even in the Netherlands with it’s low Covid-counts at the moment…

I like that, assuming they don’t delay it, they’re releasing it midweek to help lower attendance per screen.

I will be in the IMAX viewing with my mask opening week unless the theater is unexpectedly popular. I’m okay with the precautions I’ve read about and I don’t think I’ll have to stand in any lines. I don’t buy food or anything. I might do an early showing so I’m the first to use my seat since cleaning. Just explaining myself so I hopefully don’t sound like too terrible a person.

I wish they’d release the movie to after we’re all vaccinated, whenever that will be. I really want to see a Nolan movie in 2D IMAX viewing. They’re just so much better that way.

Drive-ins might actually do bank. That’s probably the only way I’d watch it until there’s a vaccine. Unfortunately, there are only 4 drive-ins in Western Washington, all on the Olympic Peninsula or Whidbey Island. That’s a long way to go and back.

Now delayed “indefinitely”.

— Alan

Gah.

I’m willing to make an exception to the suggestion that one not “Shoot the messenger.”

I guess it’s fine, I was watching this at home anyway.

Disappointing. This is the one movie I’m willing to risk diseases for to see it in proper IMAX.

Good. It’s not responsible to put it in cinemas while the covid situation is what it is in the US.