Christopher Nolan's TENET (2020)

I rarely go out to see movies anymore but this is one I’d absolutely want to see in the theater. In normal times, I mean. No way in hell am I going to a theater anytime in the foreseeable future.

Yeah. But I admit, if Amazon was to do the early-release thing and charget $20 for a 4k streaming rental, I’d do it. I’d probably tell myself I’d still see it in the theater, but then when it got released, I probably wouldn’t.

Oh yeah, I’d be all over that. I’m not going to a theater for quite a while and while I would prefer to see it in a theater… that’s just not going to happen. The movie looks really interesting, though, so I’d take watching it at home in 4K over not seeing it at all. :)

This release date is fraught with risk. Everyone knows a high-quality cam version will be online within hours of the first showing, so the longer they wait to release in the US, the worse it gets.

But I guess it’s the only strategy that makes any sense if you really want Tenet in theaters somewhere this year.

It’ll be even harder to keep unspoiled if you use social media or YouTube.

There is no question I would do this. I have a home theater projection system at home. Its not IMAX but my 110" screen and 7.2 surround would do it justice. I would probably still want to see in on IMAX, once its safe to do so, unless the movie was terrible. But I doubt that it is, Nolan has never let me down.

I am so bummed about this release. I am a big fan of Nolan’s work and this movie looks to be a must see on IMAX. I want to go so bad but I am a textbook person for not going out in public. I have several underlying conditions and on top of that, I am on immuno-suppressive chemo. I simply cant risk it. Now because of this release, I will not only likely miss seeing it in IMAX, I will most likely have the movie spoiled for me before I can see it. Not to diminish the damage COVID has wrecked upon health, worldwide but damn has it screwed up entertainment as well. I have tickets for 4 concerts that were cancelled this summer. Thanks COVID!

See if your theater will do something to accommodate you with a special super spaced out screening for at-risk people first thing in the morning, or something. It’d no different than the special shopping hours stores have. Businesses are willing to make accommodations you couldn’t get them to even think about this time last year.

Im going to see this in the theater on Saturday

us Dorklanders have to wait…

You can’t pay me enough to go to a cinema right now, even if there is no alert level 3. Not even at level 1. No effing way.

yeah but I love those Hoyts choc top icecreams…haven’t had one since last year.

On a slightly more serious note, first session of the day during the week, not school holidays…I might risk it. But yeah on the weekend…maybe not.

Well here’s hoping you don’t become an asymptomatic carrier and kill anyone.

Uncalled for.

As I recall, Aeneas lives in a country with a very low risk of community transmission (New Zealand).

So what’s the line where cinema-going becomes an acceptably tiny risk for yourselves and others? I’d love to see this in the cinema, and live in Sydney where the daily case number has been hovering around 5-10 cases a day.

I was talking about it with my wife. My view was that with current transmission levels the risk to ourselves or others was very miniscule so why not? Her view was that it may be true the risk is small but it’s not something we need to do at all so why?

I agree with your wife. And I’ve seen every Christopher Nolan film in a theatre first, usually IMAX.

Even a 0.0001% chance of getting sick, or worse, getting someone else sick, is not worth it. It’s just a movie.

My view exactly. It will come out on bluray/whatever digital format soon in at most 6 months. They can’t hold off release forever, especially with it being completed.

We are spending a couple days at the beach and on the way down we drove by the beach movie theaters. I guess they’re open but since there are very few current releases they’re showing movies like Jurassic World, Aquaman and similar. You couldn’t pay me any amount of money to go to a movie theater to see those things.

Heck I am not going to go to movie theater regardless of movie until at least next year sometime.

I think generalize the view to the entire population - would this lead to an uptick due to asymptomatic cases grouping in public (like theaters)? If so, its probably more appropriate to wait it out. If there are measures you can take, e.g. wearing a proper mask the entire time you are watching the movie, maybe that’s a good compromise - if you can stand it!

Part of all of these social distancing measures aren’t about reducing your individual risk, but normalizing behavior that reduces group risk. No need to be dogmatic with a single response (stay home forever), but I do think its a more serious consideration than “are we high risk or not?”