City of Heroes to Shut Down

Hey y’all, I missed this game originally because I wasn’t into MMOs at all at the time, but now I’d like to try this. Is this what one uses to get started?

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,950.0.html

Yes this is it. Note: take it for a spin and enjoy discovery, but keep in mind this game has a lot of boosts to vets you can take advantage of once you get started. Mess around and once that becomes fun but old hat, come back and ask for the min/max tips and the hidden boost Easter eggs! :)

Torrent files first and move tequila to directory, then launch tequila. This is faster than letting tequila do its thing

When you enter atlas go to p2w vendor, pick up a travel power, an extra attack.

Ah, so it needs original installation media like Star Wars Galaxies?

You can just download tequila, but those servers are slow. Maybe it’s faster now, it took hours when I did it.

Faster to manually download, then run tequila to update.

Got it. Thanks!

As a side note: If you’re not a fan of torrents and have a decent bit of bandwidth, just let Tequila do its thing. Wasn’t that long for me.

Playing casually without paying any attention to what I was doing I’m up to level 30 soloing with a blaster. Most of my enhancements are the basic accuracy and damage inventions from the university. I have around 600,000 influence or so, but that can change quickly. Is there something else I should be doing? The fancy set enhancement recipes are absurdly expensive at the auction house.

There are several videos and /cityofheroes posts about making big inf. They seem a bit convoluted to me. Playing the AH and such.

If you need money, cash in your reward merits. Check the going rates on special salvage (catalysts, boosters, unslotters, etc.) to find the best price per merit, then use your merits to buy the salvage and sell it in the AH.

In terms of gameplay, you’re best off not worrying about influence very much until you get a char (or two, or several) to level 50. You can do just fine with SOs or basic IOs through the leveling process. (And after, too, if you want to, although some of the L50+ content does get harder without some of the IO set bonuses.) You’ll make a ton more influence from missions and such at L50 than at lower levels.

There’s always playing around on the market, as @RichVR said, which can be done at any level. Simplest method is like @J_Thomas said. You can also buy enhancement converters, make some uncommon enhancements, and convert them to rares to sell. That takes longer, though, and it’s a roll of the dice as to which rares you get and if they’re worth much.

I understand why some people wish that they didn’t have to go through the same stuff every time they make a new character.

Me? I consider it a good way to see how the new build compares to other builds. I’ve done the Loyalist Praetoria start 10 or so times. If I get killed in the first one or two levels? Maybe it’s time to rethink the build.

Orange salvage sells for about 1 mill each, I usually have at least one in my inventory by the time a character is 12 or so. At 30 you could slot a set of IO, which level with your character, so you wouldn’t have to replace them again until 50. In the long run, this is much cheaper than trying to keep yourself upgraded, it will also make a huge difference in your characters power. The difference between “basic” enhancements, and IO/SO is pretty dramatic…like…more than double your damage/heals etc.

It’s actually pretty easy to come up with the 3 mill or so it would take to kit you out, and for me, makes the game much more enjoyable, YMMV :).

P.S. You can also respec at 50, and keep all those IO you bought for use on another character, as when you respec it dumps all your enhancements out into your trays again. If you get a character to 50 and you’re ready to re-kit them out, it’s a great way to save money and recycle those enhancements.

How many alts do you have that are dead? I mean, you go to play an alt and you find it on the ground, Go To The Hospital. That sucks.

Playing a sword/SR stalker. Amazeballs. Plant/thorn dominator? Interesting.

I just started a fire/dark corruptor that’s really fun, as well as a street justice/shield stalker. The stalker is probably the most fun I’ve had with a melee character.

It looks like there is still prejudice against stalkers, especially on teams. These people have to learn that the changes to stalkers make them team viable and solo easy mode.

My stalker is the easiest time I’ve had solo on a melee. That may change at some point, but for now, it’s not even close really. They are pretty fantastic as long as you are not trying to kill 20 mobs at once.

I’m pretty sure there is nothing meta about stalkers, but they are fun to play.

My main knock against stalkers is their limited AoE damage potential compared to other melee ATs. More of an issue on teams than solo, and maybe less so for incarnate content which has a greater emphasis on single-target damage.

I’d never turn down one for a team though. I don’t turn away anyone just based on AT or powersets.

Yah it’s a real problem on anything outside of missions, and even there it gets to be a pain. The long recharges are also really frustrating when you miss. It’s another one of those ATs that’s about 85% good.