Classic Shows That Should Be Available For Streaming (But Aren't)

IMDB TV sucks. Prime is “free” but they still show ads on IMDB.

You know what’s weird? We began recently watching a show via IMDB.tv, and we only saw ads on the first episode or two. We’re now into season four and we’ve not seen an ad since. Not sure what’s going on.

Bad news: Babylon 5 is not available on HBO Max here in Brazil. :(

Also purchasable on iTunes or Amazon streaming for $9.99/season, which seems like a pretty reasonable deal.

Yep it’s SO bad. Not just that the ads exist, but also the sheer quantity, exceedingly low production quality, and (worst of all) the automated and seemingly at random placement. Just mind-bogglingly bad & lazy work.

Diego

Huh. I watched the Leverage sequel eps om IMDB tv and I while I know there were ads I have no impression/recollection of anything about them. Y’all keep mentioning Prime - is there some embedded-inside-Prime thing you’re doing? 'Cause I used the IMDB .tv app on Roku.

Right. We’re talking about watching IMDb.tv shows from inside the prime app itself. Expect much of the fuckery is coming from the prime app.

Been watching ‘Schidt’s Creek’ that way (IMDB, but from within Prime), and haven’t really noticed the ads as being bad. I mean, they’re repetitive. But they tend to be shorter breaks than network TV. They do tend to cut to commercial, like, 1/2 a second to early, and you see that 1/2 second after the break - but I can live with that.

I mean, I’d rather live without ads, for sure, but it hasn’t bugged me that much. But I still watch a decent amount of network TV, so maybe I’m just used to ads more.

Voyagers, with that guy who shot himself in the head, John Erik Hexum.

Bet you’re right. I don’t watch broadcast & haven’t for a long time so probably have low tolerance for this kind of jank…

Diego

You know what show just occurred to me? The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne. I see someone has uploaded it all to YouTube in 10-minute segments, but I’d really like to be able to just watch the whole episodes without the hassle, and in better quality - Google tells me it was all filmed in HD quality (the first TV show to do that, too?). Sure, the production quality was Doctor Who-level, but it was a neat show.

Yeah, Ed is awesome. It scratches a similar itch to Northern Exposure and Gilmore Girls. Just a fun cast to hang out with.

Fortunately, I still have the hard drive with the entire run of episodes on it. Unfortunately, they’re mostly ripped from VHS (there’s actually tracking bands occasionally), so they’re not great to watch at this late date.

(I did recently see a way to stream it, assuming you’re not too precious about copyright and have an industrial-strength ad blocker).

I would be precious about copyright if, you know, there were a way to actually buy the episodes. Short of that, streaming would be good.

I remember buying DVDs of ‘Sports Night’ that were decent quality, since that’s all that was available. But the official release once it came out. Not even sure what happened to the original DVDs.

Yeah the only DVDs I can find for sale for Ed are actually just pirated episodes burned onto DVD so there’s no legal way to obtain it that I can find anyways.

Voyagers: https://www.youtube.com/show/SCcoZ1YjgTrdwJsvEYsZkDwA?season=1&sbp=CgEx

I’ve found several old shows available either for free or purchase on Youtube.

Huh. I just checked for Ed, and they’ve got all 4 seasons on there for that show too.

I tried starting it though, and it seems to be in 360p, and looks pretty bad. Not great audio either.

Anyone ever hear of some service called besttvever.com? It’s available through Amazon Prime, and I came across it because I was looking for the old Burns & Allen TV show.

For you kiddies in the audience: the George Burns & Gracie Allen show was the first TV show to break the fourth wall (as far as I know)

Speaking of, I wish Northern Exposure was streaming somewhere.

Hey thanks. I remember there being more than one season though. IMDB says only 1 season of 20 episodes too, so maybe I’m remembering wrong.

FYI y’all, it appears is if Alien Nation has become available digitally since last I looked.

Only the series though, not the 5 follow-up TV movies, sadly.