Classic/Slow-Paced RTS Multiplayer "Tournament" aka Old Games for Old People

That would also be a good format for Age of Empires 2, where team bonuses are a thing. But I am excited to play Kohan II next.

I’d be interested in some AoE2 action, potentially, schedule permitting.

I believe the tentative agreement is Kohan 2 next, and then something else. I would like to throw in a sci fi game, like Star Wars Battleground (with EF mod) but I don’t believe that is settled yet.

A couple of additional ideas:

If people are not sick of RoN by the time we finish this tournament, we could do a team RoN tournament: balance the teams based on the standings in this tourney, and then set up 2v2 matches on mid sized maps. RoN on larger maps and in teams is somewhat different than straight 1v1.

Second, I’m actually interested in trying some RoN on larger maps - anyone interested in some comp stomps or maybe setting up a 2v2 game? This would be normal free play, not a tournament.

I personally like both of those ideas. The only concern about a team tournament is possible scheduling difficulties, which is why I avoided it in the test run, but I prefer most games in a team format when all other things are equal.

I am up for that, but I don’t make my Kohan 2 practice be for not.

So Otagan, Legowarrior and I managed to get Kohan 2 to run multiplayer using direct IP connection. Game was pretty smooth and we stomped on some comps. I do love Kohan as a team game.

We coudlnt’ get Game Ranger to work but it looks like direct IP is not that tough to do.

That game showed me that I would rather not play against @Sharpe, at least not right away.

I would also rather not play against @Sharpe in Rise of Nations :)

AoE 2/3 or AoM I might have a fighting chance.

Well, I am sure we will put a poll up for the next game, but I really enjoyed Kohan 2.

Now, if Team games are in the cards, then AoE 2/3 or SWBG would be cool.

Is there a resolution mod for swbg?

There is a resolution mod. I actually have been using a mod called Expanded Frontier, which comes with some important balance and stability patches as well as adding two factions.

I feel like the RoN tournament is going quite well, so perhaps we can discuss doing another tournament.

My suggestion for format would be 2-person teams on medium/large maps instead of 1v1 on small maps, both to experience bigger map size, and to allow for teamwork.

The two games that would work well in this format are IMO:

Age of Empires II:HD
Kohan II

Otagan, Legowarrior and I have tested direct IP connection on Kohan II and it works reasonably well. I believe AoE II HD also has viable multiplayer options.

Those are my ideas for the next tourney.

I’d obviously prefer Age of Empires II! Although I could only commit to playing on weeknights after 9 PM PST.

AoE2 has the option of either using HD or the voobly folks have the ability to patch it so it becomes their version. At one point that was considered more stable and better for MP, but I don’t know if that still holds true. Pretty much any time I look AoE2 HD has 6K+ people playing on steam so it must work well enough. There also is a project called Wololo Kingdoms that allows the use of the HD expansion civs with the voobly patched AoE2.

My only concern with a team tournament is that it would make scheduling exponentially more difficult. Coordinating four schedules instead of two is a significant increase in the number of conflicts that would arise, and that can only be partially mitigated by picking the most reasonably quick game settings possible (i.e. medium map instead of large, etc.)

No qualms with either game choice. While I would personally slightly prefer Kohan, it has a higher barrier in terms of getting it to work.

It may be heretical but i actually don’t really like Rise of Nations that much, but i’d be up for playing a different game. There are thousands of people playing AoE 2 still on Steam, so that would be my pick.

Starcraft 2 would also be a pretty fun 2on2 game, but not sure how many have that. Any of the newer C&C games might be fun as well.

While you may be a heretic, RoN’s is about a week away from wrapping up and it’s definitely not in contention for the next game to get a tourney. I just picked it and forced it through to test out the format, with the idea that a future game could be picked via a more open method.

Starcraft 2 is free to play, so anyone can play it, but the idea was to move away from games that are 300 APM micro-fests. Both Starcraft games are basically the opposite of what we’re trying for, unfortunately.

Age of Kings is also a 300 APM microfest as well, it’s just seen with rose colored glasses now.

On those standards… i’d 100% be up for a Tooth and Tail tournie - you couldn’t get more anti-APM than one-button RTS gameplay. But it would require a lot of people to buy it, i suspect. Not that it doesn’t deserve it! Actually a multiplayer Total War tournie (any total war game past Medieval 2 basically) would also be a lot of fun, and with a hard 20 unit cap and no production, definitely possible for low APM players. Warhammer is a blast but some Napoleon would be a lot of fun as well.

Another more or less Timeless Classic with Few Units and less clicking would be Dawn of War 2.

Yeah, AoE2 is about as micro-intensive as Starcraft, to be honest.

RoN and Kohan are among the outliers in the whole RTS genre, I think.

I think some of these games have adjustable speeds, which may help.