Classic Video Game "Book Club" -- Who's in?

Sure, I would like a stab at it.

That’s no problem, @Pod.

I want to be a decider in Classic Video Game Club Season 4 (Please copy the list and add your name):
CaseyRobinson
Nightgaunt
Jorn_Weines
legowarrior

Hm. Unlike last season I think I actually have two games I’m considering.

A couple of 2006 releases that have suddenly become eligible for the 10 year rule of the club? Or just something you weren’t thinking of until recently?

I think my only thought last time was Master of Magic. Now that we’ve done that there’s actually other games to be considered!

I’m out of town on a road trip this weekend, I’ll announce the first decider Monday night or Tuesday.

Whoa. Now I am up to three possibilities. I mean, seriously, why haven’t these ones been picked yet!?!

@Nightgaunt is first up.

Oh wow! I’ll work out my game and have it posted this evening! Thanks, Casey!

Posted! Lock and load your MP5s! Stock up on gas grenades! Put on your round-house kickin’ boots!

It’s SHADOW WATCH.

I tried to hack up the data files to get @legowarrior to appear in one of the dialogs, but gave up after fifteen minutes. That would have been a much cooler way than this to announce that

@legowarrior is our next Decider.

This is an awesome responsibility. I was originally going to go with Titans Quest, but I feel that enough people have jumped on board recently with its relaunch, that there isn’t much point at this time. It is a great game though. I will review some of the other classics that haven’t had quite the long tail it should have though. Perhaps an RTS game?

How are mods viewed?

Are we talking something like a HL2 mod, or a classic game + some specific mod (like JA2 + 1.13 path?).

I’d say both are fine, though it’s not like there’s a rulebook to consult ;)

I don’t think we’ve ever discussed it before. Offhand I’d think any total conversion type mod should probably be classically old if it’s going to be your pick. If it’s a newer quality of life mod for an older game that’s fine.

It’s probably OK.

Thanks for the clarification. I’m going to try a few games, and see which ones run best on my Windows 10 machine (I don’t want to pick something that won’t run).

Sorry all, got a little crazy at work and forgot to pick the next decider…

@Jorn_Weines, you’re up.

@Pod, should I add you to the pool?

Sorry, travelling for the next week and a half. Please skip over me!

OK!

Until @Pod confirms, the rest of the pool is just me. I already know what I want to pick but I need to futz with technical details to see if I can get it to play nicer on modern machines.

Go ahead! I’ve yet to unpack my gaming computer since moving, but I guess I could play on my laptop.

Add me to the pool after yourself ;)