Colbert is just killing it these days on the Late Show

Putting Trump’s words on that billboard was genius.

Man, I missed getting my Colbert monologue fix.

Is that everyone but Fallon? I hear even Putin doesn’t pay attention to him! :CryingFallonEmoji:

It’s no coincidence that he’s the only one too spineless to call bullshit on politicians (hence avoiding Putin’s ire) or that he did a sketch with Trump, normalizing him in a way that was not at all neutral, however he may have rationalized it to himself as apolitical.

The way late night comedians can speak plainly about politics, something the nominal news networks mostly haven’t been able to figure out, is no joke going to play an important role in hopefully preserving democracy over the next year. I’m glad to have the entertainment back, but I’m relieved to have their voices back.

I don’t like Fallon’s show but his personality works on the podcast. My favorites were his hapless story about the onions and sustainable bags, with everyone else plus Jon Stewart piling on, and the recurring jokes about his eating in bed. He makes the whole group funnier.

I loved Strike Force Five; I’m just sad it ended before Conan got to guest host.

I’ll give Jimmy Fallon a fair shake if and only if he fully apologises for the crime against comedy that is track 12 on the Hamilton Mixtape. A perfectly good album that can be ruined if you’re out of reach of the skip button at that point.

One of the joys of the podcast was finding clips of the late night talkshow bits they reference in conversation, very few of which I’ve previously seen. And it took me down a rabbit hole of watching John Oliver being an excellent guest on other shows, particularly with Seth Meyers, and particularly this part where he talks interview techniques:

(hopefully the timestamp worked, but it’s at about 3:50 for a minute or so)

I tried to listen to the first episode and couldn’t take it after the first five min or so. Was hoping it’d be minimal Fallon but he completely ruined it for me.

Well, crap (both for Colbert’s health and because we’re not getting new shows this week).

Last night’s monologue was one for the books:

Damn. Daaaaaamn.