Colbert is just killing it these days on the Late Show

That was my favorite part too.

That song is older then they were when they wrote it.

Also Trujillo looks like he has no neck in the video.

Great news!

I don’t watch Colbert all that often but I’ve really been looking forward to this as a sign that the pandemic is receding.

That’ll be awesome, though I’ve never missed one of his monologues or the “Meanwhile/Quarantine-while” segments (they’ve got some incredible writers, and he’s got the comic mojo coming out of his ears). Just watch them on YT after the fact.

Not sure I’m looking forward to it. I enjoyed the audience of only Evie better than a full studio audience.

Hopefully Evie will join him on stage (and just off camera).

I don’t care too much about the live audience (though I’m sure Colbert does). But I am looking forward to them being able to do more varied segments.

I know it aired Monday, but I’ve been busy with Euro 2020 taking up most of my leisure time last week. So yesterday I finally got to watch Colbert’s return with a live audience. Dana Carvey was great as Biden, and I loved Jon Stewart as the hermit who is convinced that the Wuhan lab is where the virus started. Great stuff. The best part was just seeing how happy Colbert himself was at having that audience feedback. It really energizes him.

Jon’s lab leak bit was a bit too “does he really believe this shit” for my tastes.

I think he actually believes it! I liked Colbert’s gentle ribbing of him when he talked about the Daytona Beach herpes study center.

Maybe I’m naive but I thought he believed it as well.

Same here. And I gather that, while no one but the true crazies believe that it was a planned thing, the idea that it may have been a leak due to some slip up at the lab is gaining credence.

He believed it, and IMO he’s not wrong but I don’t think his point was particularly artfully stated. We don’t have the facts to claim with any certainty one way or another. I like that Stewart is pushing back on the origin narrative but it’s a bit irresponsible on his part to go all-in on the lab leak theory like he did, even if there’s circumstantial evidence that supports it to some degree. I thought Dan Rather’s piece here was a pretty decent critical response In Defense of Science - Steady

Nice. Dan’s article pretty much mirror’s my own thoughts on the matter. And maybe this speaks to my low opinion of journalists, but I’m really impressed that Dan Rather truly understands what science is, I don’t think most journalists do.

It was great to see Colbert return to an audience, but Jon Stewart’s appearance was a reminder not to put people on pedestals. Even Colbert seemed to be cringing.

Btw Colbert, Kimmel, Fallon, Oliver and Meyers put out a really good podcast series during the strike, to generate money for their staff, Strike Force Five. Recommended for some of the behind-the-scenes gossip of these late night shows, and four of the hosts are consistently very funny as well.

Let me guess, it’s Fallon who isn’t.

Indeed - it doesn’t help that he’s up against quick-witted stand-ups and top-class improvisors, but I already had a bit of an allergy to his whole schtick.

The Rolling Stone article about working conditions at the Tonight Show came out during the podcast, and the subject was tactfully avoided, but it put me off him even more.

So I’m not the only one who thinks Fallon is a talentless hack.

I’m in the Fallon blows camp as well… blew on SNL and continues to blow from the very little I see of him now.

He blew it with Nicole Kidman, too.