Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

I love how they just drive to the gate like they’re just going to pop out for some coffee somewhere, and the guard says “NOPE.”

Kind of depressing to think that despite the power the President wields he is in a very real sense a prisoner.

I wondered about this. Plenty of this shoot was staged, of course, including that part I bet. I have to assume that if the President wanted to leave the grounds of the White House, he could. I’m sure there are standards and protocols for the Secret Service and they would remind him of those and voice their protest, but if he truly wanted to go? He could. Right?

I’m not aware of any law imprisoning the President in the White House. Of course he could leave if he wanted to.

Presidents go jogging when they want to for goodness sakes. Of course he could drive a car off the grounds.

-xtien

He could, yes…but I doubt they’d allow the kind of filming that CICGC usually has, so that wouldn’t help the show. And, when the President does leave, there’s a motorcade and it requires streets to be stopped up for 5-15 minutes throughout downtown DC and along highways…which doesn’t make you a very popular guy, if you’re the President.

Sure, but they are pretty much surrounded by Secret Service at all times. For logical enough reasons, but they’re not going to just let the guy go take a stroll or joyride unaccompanied.

That was one of the most insightful looks into a President’s daily life that I’ve ever seen. I’m actually quite impressed with that episode. And Obama was funnier than Jerry.

That Vette is beautiful.

I’m wondering if Jerry was trying to think of what car in his collection was the most “American” for this episode? The 'Vette was the right call.

Must be nice to have all those amazing and/or gorgeous cars (and be able to hire people to take care of them). I can’t remember who he interviewed when he drove the early 70’s (1973 maybe?) Porsche 911, but I was just drooling.

I think his personal supply of Porsches would cover all the episodes to date, but most of the cars in the show are hired for the occasion. That '73 911 Carrera RS from the Seth Meyers episode is his, though. I really liked the E-type from the Sarah Silverman show, too.

Are the Acura product placements the only Japanese cars featured so far?

Yeah, choosing the car driven by Apollo crews is probably the most American move possible. I loved watching Obama drive it around, especially seeing some genuine glee from him.

Arise!

New season of 12 episodes on Netflix. Alec Baldwin makes a return appearance. Also Dave Chappelle, Ellen DeGeneres, and gratuitous snarking at Brian Regan’s vehicular preference:

“A Cadillac is for someone who feels comfortable telling his neighbors: I’m doing better than you. But only with money. I’m an idiot in every other way.”