Coming to Netflix: The Witcher

I like the characters’ look fine; I’m just getting a little CW vibe from the breathless character summaries.

Man, this is looking amazing.

But at the same time, the series creators need to realize that the reason they’re getting a show is because the game was so popular. It’d be stupid to make a show that completely ignores what made the subject matter appeal to so many people. I’m not saying they’re ignoring anything as I haven’t really followed the pre-show buildup. Waiting to see the final product to avoid spoilers, non-finalized stuff, etc.

Sounds like Netflix got The Witcher into the main auditorium for the San Diego Comic Con later this month. Guessing that’s when we’ll get some sort of trailer and a panel with cast members/creators.

One can hope. I think Yen is the toughest character to cast (but so important to get right).

I think these stills look terrific. There’s no way to to know on Ciri until she grows into what she’ll ecome and then starts kicking ass. Gellar didn’t strike anyone as an ass kicker either but she worked out great.

Here’s hoping!

Well those pics look entirely acceptable. Much better than the early test shots. Amazing what some grit and the hair not looking like a puffy wig does for Geralt.

Yup. Actually, IIRC, he keeps both on his horse except when he plans to use one of them. I don’t remember any place in the books where he takes or uses both, but I’m not entirely sure about that.

Yennefer is about 60 years older than Geralt. She uses magic to enhance her beauty.

Is the wiki description of Yen from the books, or the game? The casting doesn’t really match this (the actress looks almost weathered…)

The lady of Vengerberg was famous for her beauty, even though she was nearly a century old. Yennefer had locks of curly, raven black hair fragrant with lilac and gooseberry perfume, falling in a cascade of curls on her shapely shoulders. Her face was very pale, triangular in shape with a slightly receded chin. Her eyes were cold and sparkling with a remarkable violet penetrating gaze, in anger blazing with livid, blue-gray fire. Those very eyes also concealed wisdom and imperiousness. Yennefer’s nose was slightly long, mouth was pale with thin and slightly crooked, soft, sweet with lipstick, proud lips. On her long and slender neck hung a black marigold with a star made of obsidian sparkling with a multitude of tiny diamonds embedded in it.

So the actress in the series looks both childlike and weathered.

Man, casting must be just a whole lot of fun.

Looks pretty good. Yennefer looks different than described, but the actress seems like she has charisma and she must have impressed them if they gave her the most difficult part.

My only disappointment so far is that Ciri is just too old, she was 6 when Geralt first saw her and 10 when he first met her and spoke to her in the Brokilon forest…here she looks already 16 or so. So I guess lot of their scenes from the books will have to be changed since it would be weird if 16 year old Ciri behaved like a ten year old…

The character stills look fine, but do the aesthetics really matter anyway?

The quality of the story/script is much more important, and I’m not sure I appreciate these cute character descriptions. If it was from marketing then whatever, but isn’t this the screenwriter? Not trying to be a downer, I really hope it will be good!

Eh, they’re capsulized character descriptions the likes of which you might include in a script pitch to executives…or for easy digestion of the twitterati. Neither group is big on nuance. :)

Where’s Triss Merigold? All great TV shows need a good romantic triangle… and please let them do the Last Wish correctly…

This show is going to be sooooo bad and I bet every one expecting otherwise is going to be crestfallen.

I mean, I hope I’m wrong and all, but “soft and squishy in a tiny place in his heart that he’ll never reveal”? Yep, that’s the Geralt I know! Ciri is hoping to “find a family to maybe, just maybe, teach her the meaning of love”? Yennifer is “seeking to fill a family-sized hole in her heart”? Hoo boy. Were Schmidt’s scripts for Daredevil and The Defenders that bad?

-Tom

Daredevil was awesome so that’s a plus for me and allot of other people.

According to IMDB, she only wrote for season 2, so… yes.

I think the most optimistic explanation is that Twitter tends to lower someone’s writing ability by around 2 standard deviations (e.g. See David Simon’s Twitter).

As ubercringe as those tweets are (yes I hate them), they are not actually all that inaccurate to the books. Geralt has some insecurities in the books to the point where his friends make fun of him, Yennefer is desperate to fix her infertility.

I don’t know about Hissrich’s screenwriting ability (though I quite enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles and Daredevil S1/2) but I hope they will just lift the best stuff from the books without messing with it too much.