Coming to Netflix: The Witcher

The names are sillier, too.

Nilfgard? Nieces I’d Like to F***?

Hey, this isn’t Game of Thrones.

I’d like to remind everyone to rewatch Season 1 of GoT which had laughably bad costumes and set design in comparison to where GoT eventually ended up. The series largely relied off the strength of the story and actors at the beginning. Then the series flipped in the final couple of seasons and look where that got us.

I’m seeing a lot of “wait for post” and “all superhero/sci-fi/fantasy costumes look silly behind the scenes” about these, but what people are criticizing here is the fact that these look nothing like real medieval armor. These look like some goofball Power Rangers bad guy shit. They’re unrealistic and cartoonishly evil looking.

In contrast, the images of Temurian armor for the show look like normal half-plate.

Tv series are still tv series. They don’t have the budget of a blockbuster film. They aren’t going to put digital effects in every scene with some soldier in screen, that would be so wasteful. It makes so much more sense to make a good practical effect directly, so I also don’t believe in the ‘wait for post’ theory.

Seems this one is definitely going to be more Hercules/Xena level than anything gritty or dark. Shame.

Image released.

Oh, and a poster.

Yep, Lauren Hissrich is doing some character photo reveals for everyone to hate on. ;)

Wait why no two swords? Also needs a beard. :(

Read the tweet from Hissrich. Apparently the second sword is part of the storyline.

I don’t want to join in on the hating and I still have high hopes, but Ciri is a little disappointing to me. She looks like a supermodel waif? I know she’s quite thin in the games but I had the impression that she’d be able to beat the shit out of me with no issue and this girl doesn’t look like that at all. :(

Edit: Could it be earlier in the timeline than the games? I’m sure it’s mentioned upthread if so and I just missed it.

In the books she gets there…but she doesn’t start there. By any means.

Also in the books: Geralt hates wearing a beard.

Why are Geralt’s sideburns covering his ear holes?

There’s also this one:

Ok, thanks. I hope it’s good enough that rolling the characters back from their badass selves from the games doesn’t make it lose something.

In the books, doesn’t Gerald usually keep his silver sword on his horse and only takes it out when there’s a monster to kill? Been a while since I read any of them, I may be fuzzy on that.

They got Yen’s eye-color right.

These reveals are way better than some of the early test screens would’ve led me to believe. I’ll give 'em some space on Ciri, Yen looks sufficiently Yen-ish, and Cavil definitely feels very Geralty.

I don’t know the actual age of the child playing Yennefer in those pics, but I imagined the character to look about 12~15 years older than that. She looks like a daughter figure here.

I think a lot of what will sell Yennifer is whether the actress playing her hits the right notes of the sort of worldly, haughty, superior etc. We’ll see.

My best-case scenario would be that they chose that actress because she hit those notes in screen testing/casting, and they decided “Even though she’s maybe a bit too young, she’s so good we need to use her.”

Worst-case scenario: stunt casting.

People need to remember this was a book series before a game series and bits from the game don’t always match bits from the books.