Company of Heroes 3: mamma mia, we Total War now!

As long as you’re playing single, you can slow the game down as much as you’d like via the console. I’m old and like the slowest speed during the hot times (also: so I can watch some of the graphics that I miss at full speed).

bind([[Control+Up]], [[setsimrate(3)]])
bind([[Control+Right]], [[setsimrate(1.5)]])
bind([[Control+Down]], [[setsimrate(1)]])

It’s less the game speed and more the fact that infantry are out of date 2 minutes after the game starts.

My mid-late game Panzerschreck squad disagrees.

:)

Pretty sure the episode of Three Moves Ahead where they interviewed a couple of the guys from Relic discussed this point. Supposedly they’ve done work to try to address the infantry issue. It’s been years since I played CoH 1 and barely touched 2 so I can’t speak more intelligently about it than that.

There have been a lot of patches coming out for CoH 2 over the years. It’s all community driven.

And I will never not love my British Tank Hunters!

I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I think I’m getting tired of strategic meta-games. At least of the expansive, long-winded style that CoH 3 seems to be aping from Creative Assembly. I want something sleek and lean to sandwich my RTS matches these days so I have more time to play other games and do other things.

If anyone’s interested, a YT person who goes by Raptor posted a long gameplay video of this in the last few days. Can’t say I’m super enamored of the whole Total War meta thing but I I guess it makes for greater replayability in SP. I really hope they let you save anywhere/time without making you quit the game BTW. That was annoying about Ardennes Assault.

Quick question about CoH 1 though, for anyone who remembers-- I fired it up yesterday and played the Causeway DLC, and at one point you’re forced to retreat and leave behind a tank gun crew. There’s no way to get the gun crew to abandon the gun, right? It doesn’t work like a movable building, as I recall.

The crew has to die to leave the gun. ;)

Well, that sucks. BTW that DLC is weird. There weren’t any strategic or resource points to capture, or any base building. Just had a couple of airborne squads and later an anti-tank gun, an engineer squad, a machine gun squad, an armored car and a hero unit as the missions required. I suppose the German missions in the ToV DLC are similar. I remember liking what I played of the British campaign in Opposing Fronts, although I never finished it–it felt more “normal” although as I recall the base could be moved.

So what do those values correspond to? Which one is “normal” speed? I’d like a way to set things to about half.

Last couple of days I’ve been playing the British/Canadian Liberation of Caen campaign of Opposing Fronts. Did OK through the Capriquet mission where you take the airfield but the next mission is one where you have to hold the hill you took before.* I don’t know how on earth people manage those missions. The population cap is so restrictive, and then they’ll send you a couple of tanks you never asked for which pushes you over it, so you have to purposely let people/vehicles/units die.

*Coincidentally the point where I got stuck in the American Invasion of Normandy campaign, on the mission where you just took the hill the mission before and now you have to defend it. I don’t know how the hell you’re supposed to counter artillery barrages from batteries you can’t attack, right near the end.

I think 10 is the default speed.

Request thread title change to “Company of Total War 3: All good Nazi’s go kicking and screaming (that is interesting)”

I think it’s 10. However, I’ve only played on the I’m-old-and-don’t-enjoy-clickfests speeds of 1-3. And the normal speed game means you can’t enjoy the graphics (a problem that the Total War games have, too).

Cool. I’ll try putting 5 in as one of the values and see how that works. I still pause it occasionally (with the Pause key, which I wish could be remapped–maybe I can do it with my Corsair keyboard’s macro software, because reaching over with my left hand is a PITA and half the time I take a screenshot with the F12 key).

In your experience, does one have to enter the console commands every time? They seem to work the first time but just tonight I played again and it seems the game forgot I’d entered them the first time.

Yes. You have to hit the Ctrl-Alt-~ (or whatever) every time you start a game.

Thank, now I know.

Question for anyone: does anyone else miss being able to save and watch replays of the action as you could with CoH 1 for a while? It was cool because you could see things you’d missed while actually playing either a campaign, skirmish or a multiplayer game. You could pause the playback and move the camera around to see what had happened that you’d missed. Can’t remember if you could rewind the action like you can in a racing sim’s replay function, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to.

I know some people here are devs or connected to devs, or maybe they’re just überfans of the series–why was that feature dropped? I loved it to pieces. It was never in CoH2, was it?

Not only were replays in CoH2, but they were uploaded to centralized servers where people could watch pro players. A lifetime ago I was in that scene and used to make VODs / commentate games.

https://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes2/

I remember that site was around even for CoH1. Don’t suppose you can still save replays in CoH2 now if you can’t in CoH1.

Wonder why they seem to have gotten rid of that function. Too resource-intensive somehow?

Regarding replays, I keep reading that the last game is recorded by default (may not apply to campaign missions) but nothing is showing up in my Documents\my games[game name]\playback folder.

I’ve made sure the game has protected folder permissions so the only other thing I can think of is the dreaded (and annoying when it happens) phenomenon whereby games/apps have problems when the username has an accent in it like mine does.