Comrades, with just hours before the election is over

I learned that 8 years ago and got slapped in the face by it 4 years ago, where you been?

I can still call you an unt-cay though, right?

We’re…Homeland Security? Like so many swing states, you lost me.

t

Yes, it’s called charity. ANd I prefer to be the one to control to whom and how much I give.

Too bad, because you now live in a COMMUNIST country!

It’s not so bad…I look good in red.

Can we all start talking in Russian accents? Please?

If Bob only knew how insulting to some ppl who actually experienced communism it is to call Obama communist. But I guess brain is not a vital organ these days. Probably thanks to the awesome health care under Bush administration.

I can follow you up to here, although I disagree with you. But Rights? What are you smoking? Bush has done more to stomp all over the Constitution than any president to date, and yet you loved him.

Just what rights are you thinking of? The “right” for rich people to pay less taxes, and funnel government money into their pockets?

Hey Bob, I just wanted to point out that some people’s lives were improved a few years after Hitler was in power. You’re personal anecdote is worthless when it comes to an entire nation that’s been taken advantage of especaly since so many are worse off than they were 2, 4, 6, or 8 years ago.

Thanks for defining anyone who struggles financially as irresponsible. You sound like a really nice guy.

I drenk for-tee bottlez of WODKA lest night!

My wife wass MOST dis-pleazed! Ho ho ho ho ho

The same is true of Tony Blair. HE MUST ALSO HAVE BEEN HITLER!

I think the point jpinard was trying to make was that there are always people that are doing better/worse than the overall economy and individual anecdotes aren’t significant.

You just made an argument. You know who else made arguments? HITLER.

Quiet, you.

In kommunist America, argument makes you!

Da, I also did zat. My vife, she drenk vith me zo. My hed, id iz pounding like ze marching bands of Mother Russia.

We aren’t communist because we are ruled by BUSHITLER and he hates Communists. QED!

OBAMA FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Come on now - there weren’t any graceful concessions in 2004 - but there were plenty of the bilefiled posts with the usual demogoguery - now that Obama has won, there’s almost no graceful winning either, but plenty of taunting and immature “stuff it” posts. Plenty of people here are apparently incapable of winning or losing graciously. Class is something that perpetually eludes some folk.

I’m not a fan of Obama, whom I think is far too inexperienced, or of the current era of identity-politics, which has made this inexorably long election campaign a farce on regular occasions. Too often reasoned debate was replaced by discussions of real or perceived bias towards or against race, sex, religiosity, given names, birthplace, attire, accents, nomenclature, slang, family choices and upbringing, etc. etc. It’s all just embarrassing and diminishes all involved, and nobody more than the media which constantly propogates such comparisons and distractions and lost any remaining credibility as objective purveyors and interpretors of individuals, information and events.

I hope Obama is a good President. I think he’s intelligent and well-meaning enough to eventually overcome his inexperience and some of the disastrous policies he’s currently preaching. It’ll likely be a terrible first two years as he matures and copes with the evolution he needs to go through in order to govern responsibly; increasingly weathering criticism from many of his current supporters once they realize he’s not going to act solely in their (often selfish) interests, but rather in the interests of the nation as a whole.

I’m not convinced he won’t fail entirely - we may see a government that increasingly restricts fundamental rights and freedoms; which will almost certainly now allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons leading to a Cuban Missile-type crisis with Israel; which will increasingly see the events of 9/11 as an immutable “tragedy” rather than act of war; which will badly deepen economic woes and delay our recovery by increasing taxes on those who create goods and services and employment opportunities; which rather than seeking to reach across the aisle to all Americans, will continue with its habitual partisanship and simply try to diminish other perspectives; and will engage in an endless series of recriminations against the prior adminstration both as a destructive distraction and in order to rationalize its own, inevitable failings to adequately respond to the great crises that America faces.

It won’t be easy - it’s a time of great crises and there’s a great deal of resentment in American society and the unrelenting, and often unreasonable, attacks against Bush certainly won’t be forgotten by current and potential domestic and foreign opponents of America and an Obama adminstration (as this opinion piece from a member of Kerry’s 2004 legal team comments: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122584386627599251.html).

But it’s also a time of fresh opportunities and hopes for something better. I hope Obama becomes a Kennedy or Truman, and not a Jimmy Carter. I hope he has the persistence, diligence, intelligence and the will to appropriately respond to current and new situations and leaves America a better place, in better hands, than it was before he took office. Regardless of nationality or disposition, we all need America to continue to lead, to continue to boldly represent the values of freedom and opportunity, and to continue to help the needy. I hope Obama’s greatest success isn’t his identity, but rather his accomplishments as the next President of the United States.

Go Obama!