Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

Wow, this thread really blew up. I’m over 400 posts behind now. I wonder what happened?

I guess I’ll continue to catch up on the thread and eventually find out.

Nothing major happened. :) Just general chat about the game and mentioning when a (frequent) patch comes out so that the server can be updated and restarted.

A few of us actually are playing on the Qt3 server. Come find our base and you can claim a bed in a convenient fortress while you level up and get your bearings. I tend to play in the evenings and some weekend days.

You’re wrong! I still have about 200 posts left, but basically most of the last 200 I read were about the game coming out in Early Access. That inspired a lot of talk, surprisingly. That doesn’t usually happen at Qt3 on Early Access, so I was surprised. But maybe survival games are different, since they never officially come out, so the only way to play them is via Early Access?

The most interesting talk in the last 200 posts I read were about a dong slider. WTF?

My own opinion about Early Access has been eroding lately. After all, 2015 was all about an Early Access game for me: DiRT Rally. And if that can be good, maybe other Early Access games are worth checking out too? But more worth checking out than other AAA polished games that are in my backlog? Probably not. Unless it’s a superlative game like DiRT Rally I guess. There really was no other AAA polished game like DiRT Rally.

On the subject of early access games I’ve been more than pleased by my recent choices: 7 Days to Die, Subnautica and now Conan Exiles. Also, have a few to choose from when one has lost its shine I play the others for a while and find there have been some updates to enjoy. In the case of 7 Days when they update sometimes it’s like a completely new game.

Maybe because I don’t have a real hard-on for PvP some of the stuff people complain about are non-issues for me. With Conan I have enjoyed the ride so far; from dying-a-plenty in the beginning to gettin savvy to how to do things better/more efficiently. And exploring the map has been the most fun I’ve had in an open world game in a long time. I’m about lvl 38 now and there is still plenty to do and see.

Conan Exiles is first and foremost a dong simulator. It’s like the Universe Sandbox for male genitalia.

Just don’t get caught out in sandstorm without any pants, it’s… not pretty.

https://m.popkey.co/552998/jZQyo.gif

Did you miss the one with castration and now penis necklaces, or at least that is apparently the goal. I must have missed a Conan book or movie or two where those were prominent.

You probably mean this reddit AMA reply last month (Joel Bylos):

Q: Can you give more information/details about your vision for the human sacrifice mechanic?

A: Similar to the way in which you capture thralls, we would like you to be able to drag players back to your altars and sacrifice them for a massive boost. We might also add specific killing equipment such as iron maidens etc. In addition we really want you to be able to harvest the heads of your foes and stick them on spikes outside and around your bases. Maybe even at some point…castration.

Edit: Oh.

Can I get some feedback on anyone’s experience around Camilla the Pirate Queen? Not finding her location, I am pretty sure I know it now. But has anyone else had massive problems with the spiders that inhabit the high plateau with her?

First trip I made out there it was getting dark and I blame myself for not knowing there is a huge spawn of spiders up there. Being dark I was holding a torch instead of a shield, when I switched to the shield I couldn’t see shit and eventually the poison added up and I died. Note to self: Bring some poison antidote and regeneration potions next time. But I had a nagging feeling that when I was swinging with my sword I was not damaging them.

I have successfully farmed spiders for a long time in a lot of different locations but I still don’t know if there is much difference in their stats. Kill some purple spiders here, some red spiders and some black spiders there and pretty much they all die the same and their poison seems to be the same. Could the spiders up by Camilla be super-spiders?

When I went back I had two missions; to talk to that woman to learn Mitra religion and to retrieve my damn gear. By the way, I never saw her that first time either but again it was pretty dark. Made sure I had lots of daylight; potions on my hot bar; I was ready. I’m level 38, steel sword and shield, combo of 2nd and 3rd tier armor; I’m a beast.

Fucking spiders, man! What gives? I swear I was somehow swinging right through them and not doing any damage. And I was swarmed so when I tried to retreat and use my potions to get out of ‘crippled’ jail and move freely they would just poison me again and I soon ran out. I did make it down the plateau and away from where those particular spiders spawn so I ought to be able to retrieve my gear this time at least.

Not only that but Camilla was NOT where she’s supposed to be over by the edge looking down toward the pirate ship. I have read in forums that sometimes she does not spawn for people.

So- any one else have a terrible time up by Camilla? I have since watched ‘let’s play’ type youtube videos of people with a lot worse gear than I going up and killing those same spiders with impunity and talking to Camilla no problem. I can’t find anyone with my complaint about not being able to touch the spiders; didn’t kill a single one and don’t even think I hit them. Wasn’t lag or rubber-banding. Simply do not have any trouble like this with any other mobs inc. spiders in this game. And once would be a glitch; but twice and a few days apart?

More on Camilla and her spider pals.

Well 3rd time was a charm I guess. Sort of anyway. Went back yet again, with more antidote and regen potions; and some newly forged gear.

This time I waited just at the top of the plateau; where the path ramps up and levels out. This would be on the south side of the pirate ship and the river below.

I carefully aggro’d one or two spiders at a time and retreated back down the ramp toward the flats below. When down the path or on the lower flats I had no problems whatsoever dispatching spiders. Emboldened I went up to do battle with a spider up top and I’ll be damned if I didn’t have the same sensation like I was not damaging it. So I popped a potion and ran away down the path, then turned and hey, no problem killing it now. Weird.

I should mention that I did not find my 2nd corpse where I died down the path from the top. Nor did it find my 1st corpse up over where Camilla should have been. And I didn’t find Camilla either. Using a tip I got from the boards trying to learn about Camilla I logged off and back on and then she was where she was supposed to be. So I got Mitra going for me now anyway. Still never found my corpses so that was 2 good sets of gear lost. Made my getaway without further incident.

Rich, you really did encapsulate the experience in that one gif. Well done, sir. Well done.

Glad to have been of assistance. :)

March 14 patch:

[details=Summary]Changelog:

TL;DR (Patch Highlights)
EXPLOIT FIX: Fixed a case where you could respawn inside rocks
EXPLOIT FIX: Fixed the rock-jump exploit
Fixed a server crash related to database initialization
Server admins can now specify the amount of friendly fire (guild mates hurting guild mates)
Female characters have stopped taking testosterone and should now sound like females
Fixed bonfire cook thralls becoming invisible after server restart
It is no longer possible to walk on the water in the northern rivers
You can now place religion structures in local play
Fixed player bodies not being lootable under water
Shields should last longer in combat

Performance and Tech Fixes
Optimized server memory usage for pathfinding data
Game client now uses less memory for the GUI
Fixed a server crash related to database initialization

Server Settings
Added ability for server admin to broadcast messages to players on the server
Added ability for server admin to teleport to a specific player
Added ability for server admin to set a Message of the Day
Server admins can now specify the amount of friendly fire (guild mates hurting guild mates)
Server admins can now modify the durability of items on their server
Added a server setting to modify player damage
Admins can now use certain commands which are deactivated on the server (remove buildings on PvE server etc)
Added a new serer setting for BuildingDamageMultiplier
Fixed some cheat commands not requiring admin
ServerSettings window now shows local time on server

Server browser
Made gui functionality and filter for servers where VAC is disabled
Various usability improvements to the server browser
Various fixes to how server settings are set on server and read on client.
This should fix the server settings showing wrong on server list.

General Bug Fixes and Improvements
Chat window should now scroll properly
Newly added keybindings or redefined keybindings should now update and save correctly
Sloped roof should now be easier to place out when building
Fixed a case where logging out with fists equipped would break the character and require a game restart.
Weapon armor penetration value can now be seen on the inventory screen
Armor knockback resistance value can now be seen on the inventory screen
Fixed a case of thralls not having the correct visuals
Female characters have stopped taking testosterone and should now sound like females
Fixed thralls having collision when attempting to place them out
Fixed a case of mass-squint eye sickness on male NPCs
Chipping rocks on dedicate servers should now look visually correct
Thralls can no longer be reclaimed when dying
Black rocks in starting desert area now have correct collision
Added knockbacks to Elephants
Added knockback to Ostrich
Added knockback for Dragons
Projectile hits should now correctly trigger when colliding with the ground
Dust button should set time of day correctly in the Admin Panel
NPCs can no longer walk into water when stepping back from player
Added knockback anims and montages for dragon
Floating npc at start with Bat Demon
Fixed bonfire cook thralls becoming invisible after server restart

Balance and Gameplay fixes
T2 and T3 fence foundations now properly respect collision rules
It is no longer possible to walk on the water in the northern rivers
You can now place religion structures in local play
Added stronger hit confirm to arrow hits, both to object hit and to crosshair
Crossbows should now fire consistently
Characters will no longer become unplayable and require a restart if knocked back during the Surrender emote
Fixed player bodies not being lootable under water
Shields should last longer in combat
Fixed a case where javelin/spear will not throw until second attempt
Tweaked throwing weapon trajectories
Inventory items will no longer disappear when swapping the last item in a lootbag and the player inventory.
EXPLOIT FIX: Fixed a case where you could respawn inside rocks
EXPLOIT FIX: Fixed the rock-jump exploit

Visual Improvements
Fixed various floating assets
Fixed problems with geometry LODs for certain assets
Optimized various art assets to improve performance
Various fixes to player armor
Fixed issues with stretching female hairstyles
Hyenas should now become visibly bloody when hurt in combat
Updated physics sand mask to fix visual glitches

Text and Localization
Polish characters are now supported on the item action buttons in the inventory

Known Issues
Changing server password requires restart to take effect[/details]

Nice to see a couple more performance fixes (pathfinding memory usage & GUI memory usage).

Edit: advice from some redditor: “Server admins be advised: the update and restart process on GTX for this patch took about 30 min. end-to-end, if you want to warn your players before stopping the server. I think you can download and apply the patch before restarting, however, which will halve the time, but don’t quote me.”

This has been applied.

Awesome, thanks!

Almost immediately after the server came up, a random pub player showed up, exchanged a few chats, said s/he might set up near the twin statues, and abruptly left.

Am I tripping, or is there a new encumbrance bug?

Weight meter, just now, at 50% when it shouldn’t be, while carrying/wearing nothing:

Weight meter while fully loaded up with gear, a couple of nights ago:

No debuffs, restarted game, still in effect. And the effect didn’t kick in right away after the recent patch/restart.

What’s funny is, I first noticed it immediately after accidentally consuming a bunch of Ambrosia (health) potions. (When you spam use on an inventory item, such as a stack of food, when the stack is consumed it moves to begin consuming whatever’s in the next slot over.)

Edit: fixed by, er, leaping off a cliff to my death. Respawned and encumbrance was back to zero (prior to equipping).

don’t know about your encumbrance bug but I’ll try and describe what happens to me. Not that I play a lot in other servers or local but I can’t say that I’ve noticed it anywhere but the Qt3 server.

About 50% of the time, and sometimes for 3 or 4 tries in a row, when I log in to the game and graphics are filling in and I can start to move about - I get frozen where I can only turn side to side about 180 degrees; about a 1/4 turn left and right. I will return to main menu and try again. Like I said sometimes i happens for several times in a row. I have taken to moving around a bit to a more ‘empty’ area when I try and log out and back in again; not easy when you are restricted to only turning 180 degrees.

I’m not certain but I feel like perhaps it occurs when I log out in an area which has been ‘altered’. Such as where once you put down some foundations and build up, the otherwise regenerating features like grasses, rocks and trees no longer regenerate. But when you first log in and as I said graphics are loading you can catch a glimpse of where those features would have been except for the man-made improvements and they go away as the buildings etc. take their place.

Anyone else like this?

What’s the developers end-point goal for this game? A lot of survival games seem to just throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks. Often leaving out an actual game or leaving it up to the community to build an actual game out of PvP. I don’t like games that force you to rely on PvP for the game as they usually devolve at some point into a horrible toxic stew.

This feels like what ARK does. They just keep making new dinosaurs or dinosaur like content and then rely on people raiding each other for fun; it’s pretty toxic already. I was hoping because Conan has some background to it it might be a little deeper.

In Conan you can find diaries in some of the more challenging NPC areas which contain written stories, and there are at least a few NPC encounters with dialog, some providing a lot more story content, but no quests yet.

When I last played ARK last summer, which was over than a year after it had hit Early Access, there was still zero story. My hope and suspicion is that Conan won’t follow ARK’s example in that regard but we’ll just have to wait and see.