Condiments for Egg Rolls (poll)

This.

How is this:

Not in the list?

It isn’t a common condiment for Chinese-American egg rolls. But I agree, sweet chili sauce beats duck sauce any day. Both are primarily just extremely sweet but the chili sauce has some heat too.

Jicama

I have a pretty popular family spring roll recipe

Duck sauce and mustard. Mixed.

Usually hot mustard, but sometimes the table hot sauce. Just not sweet, I do not like sweet on my egg rolls.

This is the correct answer, but it is also tragically underrepresented at local strip mall takeout joints. Thankfully, I’ve got a bottle at home!

Can we talk about Crab Rangoon? I know it’s in no way an actual Asian dish, but if it wouldn’t kill me I would eat five pounds of deep-fried cream cheese every day, regardless of what “Krab” was in it. Sweet red sauce is my jam, for this single dish. Otherwise I tend away from anything sweet.

Oh, man, yes. For years, the Lao community at a nearby church would do an all-day crab rangoon and pad Thai/Lao tent once a year around Labor Day. I would eat like 20 of them. Hasn’t been back since COVID. I miss it so much!

I had to look up what egg rolls are (they are called loempia’s here), but when I figured out what we were talking about, I went with Sweet Chili Saus. Or ‘other’, because it wasn’t in the poll.

That being said: if it’s the small ‘western snack version’ with minced meat, I’ll use mayonnaise. But it probably isn’t called egg roll then…

It is called, no kidding, a Southwestern egg roll. Lots of restaurants serve them.

He’s a witch! Burn him!

Wait, like Filipino lumpia? Those are very, very different. But I don’t know where your, “here,” is, sir? Egg Rolls can sometimes have small amounts of minced meat but I honestly don’t find that to be common near me anyway. It’s mostly cabbage and other fillings.

Lumpia, on the other hand, are divine. You’re making me miss living on a Navy base just thinking about them.

Not a witch, just Dutch 😜

Well, that’s what Google came op with, so yeah: lumpia. I like both the asian style and the ‘Southwestern’ ones!

Lumpia I’ve enjoyed are more like Chinese-American spring rolls than eggrolls. Pretty different stuff.

Eggrolls are often stuffed with little pieces of disturbingly pink pork in addition to the cabbage.

Well, it’s the only translation google comes up with, so it will have to do (for me anyway) as a reference point. When I’m back in America, I’ll have to try some to see what they are really like (without mayonaise of course 😉).

Ugh, yes, tell me about it. As someone who avoids pork, this makes ordering egg rolls so difficult.

Me: Is there any pork in the egg rolls?
Them: Pork? No these are egg rolls.
Me: Right, sometimes egg rolls have pork in them
Them: Hey Cathy, do these have pork in them?
Me: You know what, never mind, I’ll get something else.

I actively seek out pork, it’s a delicious animal, but the processed stuff in mass-produced frozen eggrolls isn’t wonderful.

It’s like a bloated bacon bit from a really bad salad bar.

Similarly there’s a nearby taco place that serves bright red chorizo, and it’s not the Spanish stuff. Disturbing. But tasty. Also, chorizo egg rolls are a pretty good fusion dish.