Condiments for Egg Rolls (poll)

That’s Mexican chorizo, it’s different from Spanish. It’s supposed to be like that, red ground beef.

Well, now I’m doubting myself, but I know this place serves redder chorizo than every other restaurant and food truck in the area. It tastes the same, though.

It’s always bright red, from what I’ve seen.

Well they also make a rare green version. So it’s either red or green.

This is interesting. So you don’t ever see brown or brown-ish chorizo? Your tacos don’t look like these?

I think that the best egg roll I ever had was a Reuben egg roll. For that it was just mustard.

That sounds like a New York invention.

Florida. But yeah.

The pink pork used in Chinese food is pink from the marinade which usually has color or coloring added. I’m assuming when we get the really red chorizo here it is a similar thing.

That’s pretty much what it looks like, the raw bright red meat gets seared so there are brown bits too.

Regarding the reuben eggroll, I do believe that was “invented” like 15 years back by a NYC spot called “Delicatessen” which Serious Eats notably called a “true douchestanation restaurant”.

The red in Mexican chorizo comes from red chiles, and the red in Spanish chorizo is from pimenton, or paprika, basically dried red chiles with no heat.