CONTROL - (Remedy Entertainment and 505 Games)

Yes, there’s paid DLC coming, but no dates yet as far as I know. First is supposed to be about the Foundation, second about AWEs, possibly including a Alan Wake crossover.

Expansion 1 is out March 26th.

I’ve gotta say Control has some of the most creative and weird moments in a game. It’s also one of the few games I’ve bothered to go back and do side missions after I finished the main story. I just did The Mirror and it’s great and everything about that mission just fits together.

For example,

in the lab before going through the mirror you can listen to an audio log. The guy who came back from the mirror is talking backwards. After you go through the mirror you can play the same audiolog and the other person is speaking backwards. The both think the other is speaking gibberish. None of it is needed to solve the mission, but is just a touch to flesh the whole thing out.

Yeah - neither of them “came back” - they were each from the other side in the first place. I loved the fight with esseJ.

Yeah, that was another nice touch.

That fight was the hardest one for me in the game by far.

It was for me for a couple of hours too - until I figured out how to cheese her.

Her AI wants to fly and cannot follow you up onto the balcony, so after the first (easy) round, you can run up there, and engage her with some cover available. She’ll still fly and throw shit at you, but you can generally Launch shit at her much more comfortably than on the ground floor, where you are in her killing zone. Also loved that you see her as the evil one, and by implication that’s how she sees you.

And you get the best outfit in the game as a reward.

Edit: Apologies for the momentarily broken spoilertext everybody.

Easily my game of the year. Superb environments, really enjoyed the atmosphere and story telling - the ending fakeout was great, loved the combat once you had your powers - just really well done all around.

I want more.

One of the small things I really loved is that they came up with an in-game ‘explanation’ for fast travel.

I must have missed that. What is it?

There’s a conversation between Jesse and Emily where Jesse mentions she can teleport around the Oldest House at the control points. Emily says something along the lines of ‘well no one else has ever been able to do that before but nothing in here surprises me’.

That’s probably because of her passenger.

Jesse’s pregnant?

No - who she has conversations with, keeping it vague.

I’m finding those jukebox expeditions pretty difficult, even at the easiest level. They are time constrained and some of the islands I can clear pretty quickly and others are just a constant barrage of enemies and I can’t stay safe long enough to accomplish the goal. It’s pretty cool to mess around with. The high point of Control was the story so I don’t know how much I’ll play the missions as they are only combat. Still, worth trying out.

Anyone able to finish an expedition on time?

My main issue with expeditions so far and I’ve only done a couple is that the goals at times don’t seem to trigger on each island.

Man, Remedy does not like contracted security personnel having you mass murderize them in Max Payne, Quantum Break and now Control. Do any law enforcement show up for you to kill en masse in Alan Wake?

BTW to answer my own questions earlier up-thread, performance appears to be great on my GTX 1080 Ti even with 4x MSAA turned on with everything up to Ultra/High except for ray-tracing which stays disabled. Seems to be over 60 fps consistently.

Enabled RTSS only to see average 45-55fps at 1440p :( on High (without MSAA) so had to bump it down to 1080P internal renderer and resolution to get 60fps consistently. :(

Here’s the first hour of (spoilers) gameplay:

I don’t remember killing them but I think you enter a police station where they are already dead.