Coronavirus 2019

How can we open up again until 1) The peak has clearly passed or 2) There is an effective treatment? Does anyone think either of those could happen in less than six weeks? It seems to be that best case is early May.

Trump is tired of having to deal with this. He’s going to end the Federal guidelines and leave it to the states to deal with. Then he can blame them for any economic issues related to shutdowns.

We’re getting shelter in place orders here effective tomorrow. I’ll mostly abide- though if I’m getting groceries, I’ll get some take-out on the way back.

“Stay at home” order starting here tomorrow in Colorado. This still hasn’t been done at a state level for some reason, but my county just issued theirs. This unfortunately affects my board game store, but I’ve been expecting it. Sucks to put my employees out of work.

Seriously, I mean, has the poor guy even been able to play golf in the past week? /s

Me too. The article said they could start mailing checks at the beginning of April. If that actually happens it will help a lot.

I guess the open question is furloughed vs laid off employees. Will they be eligible for unemployment benefits? I assume so, but don’t really know how that works.

Well said, for a lectroid.

Racist!

I didnt call you a red lectroid, did I?

See, this is how they use race to manipulate a guy. Hey, you may be a lectroid, but at least you’re not a RED lectroid. And you’re so eager to be accepted that you embrace the implications immediately, yeah yeah I hate red lectroids.

Thanks for that link. Excellent description–better than any I have seen so far in any US publication. And yes, I agree that this sounds MUCH better than earlier descriptions. It really does look, at least at first glance, like this stuff will help paycheck Americans,. as well as help against the virus.

More of Angry Italian politicians. Can’t fault their passion

A furlough counts as unemployment.

Is there an actual deal that has been signed, or there was just an agreement between the leaders, and it is now being held up by assholes complaining that it will incentivize people to be lazy layabouts?

As a side note, I’m happy to see this acknowledged here. I rewatched Buckaroo Banzai a few weeks back with my gal, and I laughed when I saw JMJ’s name on the list. I’d never made the connection before, but of course!

There is an agreement in the Senate, which Pelosi also is ready to put up for a vote in the House, but no votes have been cast. At least in the House they’re trying to figure out how to do it with lots of reps still in their home districts.

They could do a unanimous consent, but that means any member could object and it would require everyone come to town to vote on. Which seems almost a certainty.

So we’re not 100% there yet.

Utah’s governor has started to roll out our plan going forward. It’s put me a little at ease, since it’s not “Get back to work by Easter!” or whatever the fuck Trump is trying to do, they’re clearly taking this very seriously. There’s more to it, but here’s a brief overview of the three stages they are planning for:

No bullshit and rainbows about this being over soon. At the low end of their estimates they’re talking about 26 weeks.

Leaving this up to the states seems incredibly stupid. New York (or Utah) might manage it appropriately then that chucklefuck in charge of Florida decides to yolo this pandemic and New York gets infected again. You can’t close state borders to US citizens from other states, afaik.

I think we’re going to find out this summer. At minimum, there will be testing checkpoints, I imagine.

You can’t deny entry to another US citizen, but you can impose quarantine on any arriving citizens. This can be imposed by the federal, state, local (city, town) or tribal government. It is being done in Alaska starting from today - 14 day mandatory home quarantine for all arrivals; place of quarantine registered on arrival with state troopers; USD 25k fine and 1 year in prison for violation. This was done at the town and city level during 1918-20; no legal reason it can’t be done for this, only a question of will