Cube world: Minecraft, sorta

Is there a steam green-light for this? Ill vote for it if there is.

Sounds like they’re making progress towards getting the store back up. They now have a small tech demo you can download and run to see if you’re machine will run the game. It’s just the title screen, but its neat how it generates the terrain as it spins, kinda soothing.

The developer works for Mojang, who does not use Steam, so I doubt this game will either, ever.

It only combines World of Warcraft with Minecraft on a pretty world with Nintendo aestetics. Has ben linked by Notch and the Yogcast.

Are you sure about that? I know Mojang wanted to hire him but it fell through. Did he end up working for them later?

Edit: Checked Mojang website, don’t see him listed as an employee.

Yeah, someone elsewhere also posted that he ended up turning it down - I just saw the twitt…twittee? about him being hired so thats what I assumed.

He could share Mojang’s avoidance of Steam, though, and I wouldn’t blame him. When you have that much demand and exposure for the game, why sell it on Steam and hand over 30% of your profits?

Now, for me, I would sell via Steam just so I didn’t have to deal with the issues he’s struggling with now (payment processing, server issues, etc).

Thier illustration software looks neat too

https://picroma.com/plasma

I hope they get the store up by the 4th, this could be a good lazyday game.

I got more cube world info from that site. I got my question about races answered. Basically races are purely aesthetic and do not offer any kind of advantage / disadvantage.

Purchases are enabled again right now. Get it before their server dies again.

https://picroma.com/buycubeworld

Thanks for the tip. My purchase went through.

Wendelius

and its down again - Dammit!

Hm, I don’t really know what I’m doing yet, but this game seems a little difficult. Pretty much everything out in the world wants to kill me on sight. Even a squirrel attacked and destroyed my piddling little mage.

Keep trying. It looks like the dev is working on the site right now, and so the purchase page comes and goes.

Haha, okay - that is funny! I want this game badly. And thanks, I noticed he wrote he took it down occasionially over twitter but am at work right now, so hopefully in 5 hours time it’ll be up for good :-) Can’t friggin wait!

Say, we should a MP game sometime as well!

I’d be up for that. I wonder whether setting up a server is as simple as for Minecraft.

Wendelius

What’s the DRM on this game? Do you log into a main server like minecraft?

Yes, pretty much the same as minecraft. The store is back up! Just made my purchase, 15 euros/ $19.69, payments through paypal.

Is there an offline mode? Does Lan play require that every PC have it’s own copy?

From the website :

There is a separate server application that can be used to host multiplayer games. It can be run on dedicated servers or private computers (you just have to make sure set up port forwarding for routers). It enables online and LAN multiplayer for up to four players. We’re still experimenting with maximum player limit, especially with respect to game difficulty.

Multiplayer is optional and the game can be played completely offline.

I assume every player has to own the game.