Cube world: Minecraft, sorta

shrug If y’all say so.

I dont - Dig down in most games and its exactly as you say, Brian, especially RPGs are made like that. Some people just don’t like their RPG’s to be compared to MMO’s, because of the story parts I guess. That doesn’t change that many rpgs share a ton of mechanics with MMOs, and vice versa.

I can’t think of one way which modern SPRPGs don’t devolve into just advancing your ability to blast monsters. The only thing I can think of is the SP games dress this up with conversations/charm that make the people seem more real etc…

Oh, I know, I just didn’t feel like arguing with the crazy. ;)

Just want to say thanks for this post. The linked article and video are amazingly cool stuff.

Sorry Brian, I guess I just can’t explain it well. Yes at a very fundamental level all RPGs involve killing things, yet the experience of playing them can easily lead you to feeling that RPG X does not fit in RPG box Alpha, but it definitely fits in RPG box Beta. In this case, this RPG fits in the same box, IMHO, as MMO RPGs, as my opinion formed from watching that video.

I have an intense dislike for MMO-y games (and by that I basically mean the thousand and one WoW-alikes) due to serious burnout but I don’t really get that vibe from the videos. I have been following the game for quite a while, though, so have a good idea of what it’s about so that might help. For the record, if anyone is looking for “The next Minecraft” this is absolutely not it. It’s more of a 3D voxel-based, procedurally generated Zelda or other oldscholl NES RPG. It has deformable terrain but it’s not a building/digging game like Minecraft is.

I don’t know about this whole MMO conversation… but I just wanted to say:
I was only ever fortunate enough to play the Daggerfall demo, but I played the shiz out of that demo. I climbed a lot too, mostly to sneak into walled cities at night after the gates had closed… and to get up on the rooftops of buildings so I could sneak around town like I was Batman.

So APPARENTLY ITS OUT

https://picroma.com/cubeworld

However:

Due to server issues we had to temporarily disable the shop.

BOOOOO

Any idea how much the alpha is going to cost? I’ve been watching some youtube videos on this and it really looks fun.

That’s awesome, I’ve really been looking forward to this. Hopefully he intends to release on GOG/GamersGate/Steam sometime?

While the server is being fixed, watch this

I already did.

The game has some nice tech. Could be interesting if the servers are semiopen.

The game don’t have any deep at all. Its like Terraria withouth building. But thats probably unfair, because the devs did a framework, now can make a interesting game on top of it.

I really love the eye for art that the devs have. The PC’s are amazing.

With wait you mean “Try again tomorrow”. The whole internet want this game just now, and the servers will be horrible for more than 5 hours.

This does look like it will be an interesting games. I wonder what difference races make in terms of stats / abilities. I also wonder if you are an orc, are orc NPCS friendly? Are there racial teams like goblins and orcs? etc… I also like that some of the abilities are exploration focused and it is not all about combat.

Wow this looks amazing! Just running around exploring or flying a hang glider would be worth $15…

I’m completely shocked that this guy has the following that he does. As far as I know, there’s basically been no marketing and it’s been a one-man development project… yet I see he has over 54,000 followers on Twitter, his previous article on his front page has 30,000 comments, etc. I saw this a couple years ago and have just kind of been keeping tabs on it but I have no idea how it got this much exposure.

I’m looking forward to the shop coming back online sometime this week, this looks like a lot of fun.

Is the shop down?

I’m not seeing that, only that the shop is down.

Well the shop is down, no doubt about it