Cult of the Lamb - Be a baa-aa-adass cultist

I watched a couple of sessions of this game played by NorthernLion last night, and I am definitely getting this. Looks pretty weird and great.

I played for 20 minutes or so yesterday and it is so utterly charming. Looking forward to playing more!

I feel kind of sheepish looking into this, but maybe I’ll just lower my head and ram on through and try it… I just don’t want the wool pulled over my eyes again.

You know you’d get better participation if you didn’t ewes up all of the puns in one post.

I think he’s an enthusiastic member of the Cult of Puns. Which makes it pointless for us to lamb-ast him. There’s only one lamb-guage he understands. And I don’t speak it fluently, as you might notice.

Curious to hear how it looks and runs on Switch. Despite having zero need for more games atm.

Heh, need. When had this ever been about need?

BIYF!

Switch apparently has a bunch of performance issues. (read top comments in this thread)

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/wlv1uk/comment/ijvgead/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

That’s kind of what I was afraid of. I managed to play through the slowdowns in Hades without much issue, but still, very on the fence here. Maybe it’ll get patched. . .

I love this one so far after about an hour. All the little systems come together and make a pretty good whole.

One tiny nitpick is that the instructions for Knucklebones are wrong. It’s a simple game but the ‘How to Play’ should read something like:

When dice of the same number are placed in the same column, you’ll earn bonus points as follows:
2 of a kind → add the pair together then multiply by 2
3 of a kind → add the three together then multiply by 3

Game ends when one player fills their board and then you compare scores.

I only played around 100 minutes of Cult of the Lamb, and my impressions is … that is a good game. Cool concept of colony sim + action roguelite, even cooler theme of demonic cult, polished, great visual style, briskly paced. Good game, not great, mind you.
As some have indicated in their reviews, you can notice that is 2 games in 1, and therefore suffer in how deep and good is each part. In special the action dungeon crawler part, the basics of hitting stuff and rolling to avoid are competent, but it really suffers from poor weapon variety (they barely differentiate themselves by being slow but high damaging or quick but low damaging, in addition of one trait like ‘vampiric’ or ‘venom’) and poor perks ("+20% dmg", “+10% critical hits”, etc. I sleep).

I think the reasons some people are loving it (instead of liking it) is fairly simple : it has lots of progression bars! Both explicit and implicit. You level up your followers, you level up yourself with faith, you level up your base and get new buildings, you accumulate more resources, you increase the total amount of followers, etc, etc.

A big of part of it for me is the little details & humor involved. Like the way the lamb’s eyes bleed for certain events, or if you do the ritual of the feast, everyone’s just going to town on the food but lamb opens its eyes and takes a peek at the others while they eat, to measure the impact its having. Great stuff.

My kid and I both like it. I was a bit nervous about the twitch combat gameplay as I sucked at Isaac, but this one is not as tough for me, and there is quite a bit of non combat stuff to do so that is a big plus.

Humor, management, quick combat….it’s very good so far after a few hours.

hahaha

Ugh. Seems like I’ve encountered the fog wall bug.