Cuphead - 1930's cartoon side-scroller

Can we get back to talking about Forza 7?

I keed, I keed.

This was an interesting video from GDC:

They’ve really tried to keep everything rooted in the 1930s, including a live recorded jazz band soundtrack.

It’s out!

Awesome. In spite of lacking a good way to play at the moment, I’m going to buy it b/c I want to support their artwork.

Playing this co-op and it’s bloody hard. A typical exchange between me and my girlfriend while playing:

“Shit.”
“I can’t believe I just ran into that.”
“Bollocks.”
“God, it’s so pretty–ah crap.”
“Who put that mushroom there?”
“Fuck.”
“Argh, I hate those acorns.”
“Parry me! Don’t shoot me!”
“Gah, retry.”
“Shall we try Simple?”

Cuphead bingo!

All day Friday and Saturday, I kept getting an error on my Xbox when I tried to load the Microsoft Store. I was hoping it would be fixed. Or that they would provide a direct link to the game on the Xbox Dashboard somewhere.

Last night before I went to bed, I finally got tired of waiting. If Microsoft wasn’t going to promote their game on their dashboard, I was still going to buy it anyway. I restarted the Xbox, and went to the search bar and found it, and started the download.

Still a pretty shitty way to treat their own game though. At least they’re promoting it on the Steam front page. Maybe that’s where they expect to get most of their sales.

I wish this were out on the PS4 or the Switch. I bought it on Steam, but have to run a bunch of cables, move crap around, and reboot my computer into Bootcamp in order to play. Oh well, I wanted to support the devs. Initial impressions:

• The jackass who got stuck on the tutorial… I tried a dash. Nope. I tried a jump. Nope. I tried a dash-jump. Nope. I then read the actual text there (along the lines of “you can use dash on the ground or in the air”) and did it immediately. Press jump then press dash in the air. Total time spent was < 20 seconds.

• The art is phenomenal. I hope the game gets nominated for an Academy Award for best animated short or something. It’s truly a work of love and labor.

• The game is extremely difficult. As a Spelunky lover, it’s perfect. :) I look forward to more playtime.

I’m really loving it so far. The intro and tutorial and shop, and the Run and Gun level that we saw in the Dean video above is what I’ve done so far. It is indeed very hard, but so far, the controls seem really good. Unlike in Spelunky where I could never felt like I could get the character to do exactly what I wanted to do, here I feel like I have very good control.

The art is just so good. Even the loading screen hour glass in enchanting to me.

Any word if this will come out on Switch? It’s my favorite platform for uh… platformers.

Unlikely. MS funded a lot of the development and the dev team have said it is a Windows and Xbone exclusive but that future Cuphead releases would be multi platform. Too bad, because MS could make a lot more money going multiplatform with it than hoping it is a console seller. That said, maybe they will relent in the Spring when sales have slowed.

I’m curious, if this was a PS4 exclusive funded by Sony, would people really claim that Sony would make a lot more money going multiplatform?

On one hand, Microsoft gets a ton of shit for not having enough exclusives, but on the other hand, when they finally have one, they get shit for it being exclusive. Go figure.

I demand videos so I can mock your horrible skills! :D

Yes please, I have no plans to buy this, well, maybe at 75% off, but I do love the art, so that combined with the difficulty suffered by someone other than myself sounds like fun. ;)

I guess I was just looking at it from a $ perspective. I don’t think Cuphead is going to sell consoles for them when you can get it for $19 on Steam. All I was trying to say is that they’d probably make more from software sales royalties by going Multiplatform. It’s enough of a departure from your normal game (art wise) that I think it would sell well. However, you need an Uncharted or something of that ilk to have an exclusive that sells $300+ hardware, IMHO.

I was watching a couple of twitch streams of this yesterday, and it’s definitely not for me–mostly because it looks bananas hard. I just don’t have the reaction times required.
Still, it’s freaking gorgeous, and they’ve absolutely nailed the look of those late 1920’s-1930’s cartoons, where everything was in motion at all times because it could be.

They’ve even nailed the audio with the live jazz band music and the slightly crackly quality, and I love Porkrind’s voice. It’s just so… coarse, like those old cartoons sometimes were. Awesome.

I don’t think my girlfriend would appreciate that! ;-)

I finished the Forest Run n Gun level, and the Masoleum, and the Field bosses (potato, onion, carrot). Now that I’m getting the hang of this, it’s not as hard as it initially looks.

I guess the trick here is that the levels mostly are the same every time you restart. One of the bosses had the same patterns but started on a different step in that pattern. Nevertheless, learning to beat the levels is as much about learning the timing and positions of the bad guys as anything. In a sense, each level is sort of a boss battle in its own right. I’m not great at games that requires a bunch of twitch, but I’m patient and was able to make it through the first 3-4 levels without too much difficulty. The different secondary attacks can have a big impact on how you play the levels.

Also, as someone who is playing a lot of Destiny 2 nowadays, I can’t stress how cool this feature is: you can pause the game, and it stays paused in that level, no matter how long you’re away. In Destiny, if you need to go hold your 5 month old baby for a bit, when you get back, you’ve been sent back to orbit, or if you took even longer, they log you out completely. In Cuphead, you can go hold your baby, feed him, feed yourself, go to the restroom, take a shower, do whatever the hell you want, and then come unpause the game and continue from where you left off. So cool.

It’s weird that you have to tout that as a feature. Didn’t all games use to work this way?