Cuphead - 1930's cartoon side-scroller

I think @Rock8man has forgotten what it’s like to play games that don’t require an online connection.

Sounds like he just had a kid? Your perspective on what works in games changes a lot when that happens… Another reason Cuphead is great, for me, is that it’s suitable to play in co-op with my daughters.

They did all used to work this way. Diablo 3 on the PC, and Destiny 1 and 2 suck in this regard. Even when you’re playing single player, you can’t pause the game, and you can’t just sit there and come back, they forcefully log you out so you have to repeat the mission, even if you were 90% of the way through it. I’ve had to repeat so many Destiny 2 missions over and over and over for this reason.

Meanwhile, in Cuphead, for some reason I’m having sync problems. So my progress on Win10 didn’t transfer over to Xbox, where I beat the missions again, but with a different rankings on the levels, and bought something different at the shops with my money. Take that game! Now try to sync my progress!

Looks like the technology is defeating itself once again, despite the developers’ best intentions.

Been watching a few sessions of folks playing Cuphead on Twitch and the like this weekend, I’m changing my tune. I like seeing that there are side scrolling flying sections that remind me of all my favorite arcade games growing up. Looks pretty cool.

Looks like it is gonna pass 250,000 copes on STEAM soon.

Yay! I hope it keeps doing well.

I’m really enjoying it. I managed to beat one of the bosses without even getting hit once. It felt so good. It was nice getting an achievement for that too.

I’m currently stuck on that section where you’re in a flying plane for the first time. It’s so tough! I haven’t quite figured out how I’m supposed to avoid all the attacks yet.

Video games remain a hit-driven business. No news there.

I would never play this. I’m all for challenging games, but I want to enjoy the mechanics if they’re going to make me retry. Nintendo-hard run-n-gun platforming? NOPE.

I’d already have bought this just to reward the art style were I not in Stingytown mode. I may crack eventually, anyway.

In the meantime I’ll have to satisfy myself with:

I finished the first “area” of the game last night and this was probably the boss that I struggled with the most (though, the flower guy at the end took me a litle while also).

Most of the attacks are straightforward, but when it does that tornado attack the only way I could figure out how to not get hit is to use the full-powered super attack where you turn into a bullet. The other thing that gave me a problem was the Gemini form where it shoots out a spinning laser. I still don’t know how to tell what direction the initial shot will come from, but if you can avoid that, the you just run around it clockwise (use the small form to get more speed if you need).

Ooooooh! I completely forgot about the small form! Thanks!

Reading about Cuphead and its inspirations lead me to learn that Tex Avery got his left eye shot out during office horseplay while working at Walter Lantz’ animation studio in the 1930’s. (Accounts vary as to whether it was a thumbtack in a spitball or a paperclip that was shot at him.) The loss of depth perception was theorized to have contributed to his skewed designs.

Pretty fricking cool.

So it’s true. It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

This looks pretty cool. How good do you need to be so you don’t need to retry things 1000 times? I just got a coupon from GreenManGaming for 25% off of it.

I mean Looney Tunes were still pretty fun after the early 30s. . .

I’m not sure how to answer that question. It’s tough, but I’d say part of the fun of these games are trying, failing and trying again until you get good enough to win. The “levels” are mostly just boss battles and there isn’t a lot of downtime between attempts, so despite having to replay some parts many times, the pace of it all is quick so it doesn’t feel tedious.

I remember fondly memories of Astroboy on the GBA once upon a time… some of those levels remind me of Cuphead… looking forward to play it… Why isn’t this on a Nintendo handheld??

I must have tried to beat O&S solo in Dark Souls 50 times before I finally succeeded, so I’m OK with retrying as long as I’m able to get better and make progress. It gets frustrating when I don’t see why I’m failing or if I feel the moves needed to win are beyond my skill level.

The OST is amazing. Your link doesn’t go anywhere for me, but if you have two hours and fifty two minutes free you can listen to the whole thing here.

It’s best to use small form to dodge the whirlwinds too. You can also use Lock on the bumper to switch to small form; you don’t have to press Y as described in the tutorial!

I really like that playing the bosses on Simple doesn’t reveal all their forms and the finale, so when you finally brave Regular you still get a nice surprise with new forms, attacks and visuals to wrap your (cup)head around and feast your eyes on. It would have been so easy for them to just have all the boss forms and their health/attacks reduced but this way encourages you to up your game for the real reward.

Unlike Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends where your dead bubblized co-op buddy floats around on the screen to be resurrected, in Cuphead your partner’s spirit drifts upwards and off the screen. Once they’re gone, they’re gone for the duration of the level which adds another layer of difficulty trying to keep the two of you alive with quick parries amidst all the madness. That said, if one of you does die, that person can then sit back and enjoy the visuals and sound a bit more whilst spurring the lone survivor on. It’s nice to carry or be carried over the finish line!