Curious Expedition -- 19th C. Pulp FTL

Thank you, Mr. Chick.

And Misguided, just think of this game as the love child of 7 Cities of Gold and FTL.

Just wait until your ship drops you off in the middle of the desert. Which is green.

I am so happy this game is on Steam, now I’ll remember to actually PLAY it. ;)

Gave this a try last night and lucked my way into surviving three levels. Clearly, there is a lot here that I don’t understand, and not just combat (which makes absolutely no sense to me, no clue whatsoever). From the scores of my “competitors” it is clear that surviving isn’t nearly enough, I am supposed to be bringing back various artifacts, but I never have any slots to carry these things, nor do I understand the mechanism for handing them off after getting home. (I click on museum, but nothing happens.) Actually, this lack of slots for carrying things bothers me the most, since most interesting locations amount to chances to get object, but with no empty slots, I’m just looking for the pyramid to get out alive.

Still, the game has lots of atmosphere and character, and I’m looking forward to another session later today. Maybe I can figure more of it out.

Slots are determined by the size of your party. Each person provides 2, and pack mules have 4 (I think). Every time you visit a native village you have the opportunity to recruit someone, which will provide 2 more slots.

When you do finally bring some artifacts home (it sounds like you haven’t yet), the game will step you through each one and you’ll have an option to either gift it to a museum for fame, or sell it for cash to purchase starting supplies for the next expedition. My problem is I always trade them for fame, since that’s the way the game keeps score, and I set off lacking vital supplies.

Mr. Father look five posts above yours for an explanation of combat. Your carrying capacity is the total of each character’s carrying capacity, represented as crates on the info display. When you return from an expedition, treasure items can either be sold for funds – shown on the right side of the screen – or gifted to a museum for fame – shown on the left side of the screen.

-Tom

Interesting. I tried to add it to a wish list for tracking by going to the steam store page and doing a title search - it was not there. Had to drill down into indie games and look at the specials.

Yes, that’s what I thought, and, of course, problem #1 is that although I keep surviving, all my companions die. :) But still, on my third trip out I found a mummy and was willing to drop everything else to bring it home. But even the mummy alone overburdened me… leaving me confused.

Ah well, I’ll play around with it this evening and presumably figure a lot of it out.

Choosing a famous person with a donkey at the start is a big help. I even recruited a buffalo at a village as a beast of burden once but we had to eat it after losing our sanity. Sad times.

Are you kidding? Buffalo meat is delicious.

It is sad to eat your friend, even when delicious.

But he had a name! I think it was Mr Banks or somesuch…

Is that also a quote from the movie Alive?

Sips investigates The Curious Expedition

So is anyone playing this?

I played it a couple of times and like what I see so far. Just waiting for it to emerge from EA.

ME too, played a few rounds and REALLY enjoyed it.

Have they made any mention on the path to leaving EA?

FAQ states - “Our planned final release of the finished game is summer 2015. As usual with game development, this date may shift.”

I’m also playing it, but haven’t done much with it just yet