Curious Expedition -- 19th C. Pulp FTL

They just released a new developer video today that addresses this. They’ve done well enough on Early Access that they can continue to spend more time further improving the game, so they’ve pushed back release. They are now planning to “spend the rest of the year working on it”. They said that may mean literally working until the end of the year, or it might be released in October or November, but “we still have a lot of ideas for the game left” and they want to continue to add to it.

My experience is that the game is totally playable right now and is a lot of fun. (And that’s my experience before Alpha #13 which added dinosaurs, and we know everything is better with dinosaurs.)

DAMMIT! Look what you people have gone and done with your enthusiasm for Early Access.

-Tom

The full game (browser version) is free to play this weekend.

Do I take the complete lack of conversation about this game (unusual for this forum) to mean that this really is not worth picking up in the Steam sale?

I, too, would be interested about hearing some hands-on comments. I have observed the game since its early-access debut, and it seems to have been stuck in the doomed “last 10%” for a year now.

Looking at the updates on the main site, it has 1 more alpha release planned then they will announce the 1.0 release date. So… Soon it would seem. :p

It’s a great game. It’s a lot of fun and I definitely recommend it if you have any interest in the subject matter (do keep in mind that it’s a pulpy version of 19th century expeditions, not a realistic one).

Note it’s got a 90% rating on Steam, which is really quite high, and matches my personal opinion of the game.

I agree with ydejin - Curious Expedition is a lot of fun and has more depth than the screenshots and descriptions make it seem.

I’ve played as much of this as I have Renowned Explorers, and they’re both really good in different ways. My only real complaints with Curious Expedition are I feel it could really use more general content (You’ll see the majority of locations/events in one playthrough which is only a couple hours, which is kind of a shame) and maybe some more viable play-styles. Currently it seems weighted heavily in favor of showing up guns-blazing in every location since bulldozing everything for as much treasure as possible allows you to snowball your funds and equipment far better than anything else. The biggest part of the gameplay is provisioning well and getting a good feeling for moving on the map, larger contiguous moves burns less sanity than short ones, etc.

Rats, I was hoping to see a “hey, it’s a final release now!” post when I saw this thread bumped.

-Tom

Hey, it’s a final release now!

Or, at least will be tomorrow, when Curious Expedition goes to 1.0.

I’m streaming this tomorrow, too. I meant to stream Deus Ex, but I fired it up, watched the 12-minute “previously…on Deus Ex” movie, started playing it, and got an overwhelming feeling of ennui. Then I uninstalled it. So Curious Expedition on Friday instead.

-Tom

Awesome. I have The Curious Expedition but still haven’t gotten a chance to play it yet. Really looking forward to the stream now!

(Disclaimer: I know the guys rather well.)

Love that video. Makes you want to root for their success.

Anybody know if the game has a manual?

runs away

Hey, come back here, I wanted to answer that question!

-Tom

Arctic Expanse update out now.

Early Access for the sequel will go live on June 17. In-depth look in this video after the team introduction roughly at the 6-minute mark.

(Usual CE disclaimer: the devs are friends of mine.)

I love the first Curious Expeditions! I’m really excited for this one, too. Any idea if they’re still working on The Curious Case?