Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

I think the GTA thing is a fair takeaway from the trailer they released and honestly I would bet that was at least somewhat on purpose. GTA makes roughly a trillion dollars an hour. People love it. I am sure they are perfectly happy with that early impression from a marketing angle.

I get (because internet peoples’ need to be smug) the comments on Gibson’s tweet, but I don’t think you can rationally claim it is unreasonable. The teaser trailer totally has that vibe. It is a very 80/90’s cyberpunk pulp style. Generic is probably a little harsh but it’s not like very similar style hasn’t been in a bunch of movies and games to this point.

I hate how PC Gamer just… IT IS FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!!!

No, it fucking ain’t. Just because you have first person perspective and can (but don’t have to!) use guns does not make it a shooter.

I thought GTA 2 was basically cyberpunk GTA. I need to play that again.

More cause for concern: ;)

I mean, they might screw it up. But it sounds like they’re really trying not to.

I’m interested in the game, but it being FPS really makes me lose some hype. I just dislike FPS gunplay in open world and RPG settings (I liked the new Deus Ex games, but that had a lot of third person, and it was not that open world). I would have been much happier with Mass Effect-like gameplay.

FPS just takes me out of the world and characters. (I know, it’s just me)

No, it’s not just you. That’s me too.

If this were an EA joint? I’d be all ‘no interest until the game is out and I know if they screwed it up’. They’d definitely skew the FPS- RPG spectrum to the FPS side. CDPR gets a bit more leeway.

It’s not a selling point, but it’s not a detractor either, yet.

I don’t know that I care too much one way or the other, I guess I just assumed it would be third person because of the Witcher games.

I’m reminded that the recent Deus Ex games were (mostly) FPS as well, and they still worked great, so I’m sure CDPR can do the same or better.

Still, not my favorite perspective for RPGs. I much prefer 3rd person in most cases.

BTW:

FPS is super immersive though, and like @ShivaX said you can’t do better for gunplay than FPS. 3rd person shooting always feels terrible. I hadn’t really thought about where the camera was planted, but I’m fine with FPS given stuff like System Shock, BioShock, Prey, Skyrim, etc.

What? Crazy talk. The Gears games, The Division, Mass Effect Andromeda have pretty great shooting.

Oh, I’m not saying you cannot do third person shooting, but games are more fun when they are super atmospheric and first person, than third, at least to me. And shooting seems easier for me as well, but YMMV.

First person is better for this type of game. I hope they stick to their vision.

Also, Dues Ex games are 1st person, and they work very well. I can think of a lot more games where it works best as FPS than I can as third person.

Even more excited now that it’s been confirmed as first-person. They handed this booklet out after the demo:

Me reading this thread:

It’s just silliness. There’s nothing wrong with GTA, or it’s superior cousin Saints Row, but its a lazy comparison. It seems to me we’d probably gain more from talking about Deus Ex, System Shock, et al. No, none of those games was entirely open world but we’re talking about games with many more RPG systems that make for good comparisons. And we knew that stuff was going to be in the game (else they wouldn’t be using a table top RPG system as it’s basis).

Cyberpunk, like every other type of setting ever, is not a specifically fixed thing and blue skies don’t have anything to do with it. Who gives a shit what William Gibson thinks?

I don’t mind the sunniness, or the FPS-ness (like first person, not a big fan of shooting) but I disliked the character doing the narration in the trailer-- a lot. He seemed like a GTA character. After playing the Witcher games, where Geralt exhibits a moral gravitas, I don’t want a player character that sounds like a generic demimonde goofball.

I don’t doubt CDP on much, but creating combat to hold my interest for 100 hours is one thing. And now they have to go learn first person shooting and melee when they never quite mastered third person melee after three tries.

I don’t expect it to be that great on their first try. Anyway, not a deal breaker.