Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Tough to see difference between ‘Overdrive Mode’ and the RTX we’ve had on Cyberpunk for 2 years, but I imagine we’ll get further explanation in short order. I am curious to see relative numbers when they crank DLSS to quality mode instead of performance.

Apparently Overdrive is/includes:

• NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting
  • Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution’s single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
  • Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
  • Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques

Man, that lighting shit is getting pret-tay, pret-tay, pret-tay sophisticated.

About that mission where you pay off Viktor the Ripperdoc-- does it involve something beyond forking over 21 grand?

Don’t think so, didn’t for me anyway. Just have a chat, pay your debt and leave.

Thanks. I was hoping it would at least bump one of your stats or something.

I’ve never not paid him back, so I wonder what happens if you don’t? Ah here it is: nothing, except you can’t use him as a ripper doc later in the game. Doh.

Ah, thanks.

BTW, I gather T-Bug also died during or immediately after the Heist mission. Who is presumed to have caused that? Dexter DeShawn?

No, it’s Arasaka security. You find that out if you talk to the software vendor Wanaka sends you to for your free Ping soft.

Ah, guess I should listen to the dialogue more carefully, because I did go to that vendor.

The story stuff is actually not bad, overall. The main quest writing, as well as some of the side stuff, is quite good for the most part I think.

Summary

Dex is one of those guys though that seems like a big shot when Jackie introduces you to him early on, but who turns out to be only a modestly sized fish in a very large pond. Takemura for instance is a shark, compared to Dex. He would not have killed T-Bug anyhow, and probably couldn’t because she was much smarter than him I think. But Arasaka had the skills and hardware to ping her and fry her like a housefly caught in a zapper.

Haven’t tried them but these looked coolest to me.

An overview video here too, with some more mentions in the comments. Vehicle Combat or Enhanced Police might be worth a look if the underbaked Night City police bothered you.

The Witcher 3 is undoubtedly the better game of the two, by far perhaps, but it does not IMO lend itself nearly as much to casual roaming and killing/looting like Cyberpunk 2077 does. When I sat down to play the Witcher 3, I was in for a serious session, moving the story along or working towards a particular build or something. In Cyberpunk, I’m often just popping in for a couple of random street crimes or gigs. I think the game lends itself to that sort of play a lot more.

Ran into what I think might be a bug in the Automatic Love quest. For some weird reason at the end of it, even when exiting the building where the “Clouds” place is located, the minimap keeps telling me I’m in a “hostile area” but I’m walking around openly in front of gang members/cops/etc and no one is in my face.

Not sure if I’d use this on the first playthrough, but this gives you text message pointers to the hidden stashes and bits of environmental storytelling (so called hidden gems) in the game.

This mod adds 190 new fixer gig’s with over 400+ new SMS messages to walk you through finding the 190 Hidden Gems built in the to the vanilla game. They will be given one at a time by their respective district’s fixer and provides a map waypoint to help find the goal.

I do that, too. Night City is incredibly immersive and interesting. Sometimes, it’s relaxing just to inhabit the place and do casual stuff for a bit.

Just installed this. Only had one pop up so far and haven’t had a chance to track it down but it seems like a cool mod. Then again, I have played through the story several times now, so there’s no risk of spoilers or anything!

Total sales hit 20m. Suspect that might be shy of initial lofty goals, but is still a lot of Vs.

I bought it for the Xbox (Series X in my case), and also for PC, where it runs remarkably well (though not at 60 fps with all the bells and whistles on).

I wonder how many people did something similar.

BTW, with all the bells and whistles on it only really chugs in places with lots of reflective surfaces, like the Afterlife bar, where on my machine the FPS count drops to the low 20s (ouch). Normally though, like outside, it’s in the mid 40’s minimum and usually in the mid-upper 50s.