Daggerfall Unity

Wow, this is awesome. I’ve been waiting for this to be ready for prime time. Downloaded and installed.

So far so good. It’s got a crazy amount of customization options. I set the FOV to 90. We’ll see how that looks.

I made it out of the starter dungeon at level 2 and to the city of Daggerfall to sell my dungeon loot. I ended up setting my FOV to 80. 90 was just too much.

So far I’m having a blast. There’s been a lot of nice improvements and the experience is pretty impressive. If you’re curious about the game and like old school RPGs I do recommend trying it. I’m playing with all the mods turned on (which is the default). They make a difference in a very good way.

Hahaha. Amazing coming back to this.

I got my ass handed in the tutorial dungeon (I forgot that spell casting was real time!) and although it’s slightly unintuitive to configure at first, gamepad support is great.
The gamepad panel in the control only affects mouse cursor emulation: gamepad controls have to be set up directly in the default controls panel.
I wish you could have a couple of controls bound to a single command. Maybe you can…

That skeleton in there was a real PITA. My iron long sword was doing nothing to him and he was resisting my magic arrow spells right and left. Fortunately, we were fighting at the top of some steep stairs with a long drop to the bottom. I managed to knock him over the edge when fighting and, crunch, dead skeleton.

The memories of playing this 25 years ago are slowly coming back to me. One things for sure, this is a much improved version. The only thing I wish it had is a mini map and I see there’s one on nexus mods.

Speaking of which, I still remembered vividly how painful it was to navigate the 3d dungeon map at 3fps. The one in this version feels like such a luxury!

Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that they now have a really nice 3D map for dungeons. And the new overland map is really nice too.

I downloaded and installed the Enchanted Minimap mod but unfortunately I can’t get it to work at all. Apparently it must conflict with other mods in this GOG package. I guess that explains why they didn’t include it in the first place. Too, bad. it looks fantastic.

#1 question: can you still clip through the dungeon walls and fly through the netherworld to shortcut your way to the quest marker?

Wow, you were a lucky one: I only remember being buried alive in dungeons! I sure hope this is gone.

You could get buried alive? If you took out a retaining wall or critical pillar or something?

oh nothing that elaborate: I remember going through a door one way in some of the auto generated dungeons, but not get out the other way. Or some impossible slopes? I have still a very vivid image in my brain where there is a sort of slope.
“Being buried alive” is the romantic touch the human brain added to the cold, calculation errors of the machine.
Game taught me to have multiple saves.

My memory of this game is that I treated it like a JRPG for a long time, and basically could not help myself from breaking into every house to try and steal everything possible. I timed out of the main quest every time I tried to play the game.

I spent absurd amounts of time in this game. I remember the impossible dungeons, the vampires and the witch covens, the procedurally generated towns. The NPC sprites that rotated as you turned your character.

I can’t get into this again… or can I?

I remember in 1996/97 I used to go down to the local PC store in my little town that was next to the mall. He had a used copy of Daggerfall and a used copy of Diablo. Both were $30, and I couldn’t afford either one. But every week I would go down there and stare at each of them for about 15 minutes. He also had a used 3DO and a copy of Star Control 2, that was $300 altogether. I used to drool over that too.

I was shocked, shocked I say! The size of the install is ridiculous. 524 MB? Are they insane?

As long as I don’t have to make a new AUTOEXEC.BAT or Config.sys file then I’m good.

Yeah, the original was infamous for one-way dungeons. As in, the randomized layouts were like Adventurer Motels–mages check in, but they don’t check out.

Unless you got a teleport spell and anchored it to the beginning/entrance. Worked wonders.

Yes, that is the first thing one needs to buy. That spell is a must have.

When arriving at Daggerfall I had to repair my gear and buy spells so at one point I was down to zero gold. I had no choice but to rob a store of their wares in the dark. That got me enough to finish spell buying and get a cart. They seem to have made changes to the spell maker. You can’t make those cheap spells to use to practice skills anymore. And the open spell is pretty useless now. Fortunately teleport is still reasonable.

I joined the mage’s guild and fighters guild. The later gave me a quest to retrieve a mage in a dungeon so that’s where I am now. I’ve found a few high price items so I’m happy.