Dark Souls 3

That plus the summoning is the same way it’s always been. I think. The games are running together now.

It’s the HP boost that’s new.

Actually it says when you’re co-oping you can’t be invaded. I wonder if that’s specific to the network test.

That’s interesting. Seems like something you’d want to test in a network test!

Looks like it’s the area from the conventions. Plenty of people are streaming the Japanese test on Twitch.

The frigid dancer boss is pretty neat. More of a sad aesthetic and music rather than the crazy aggression you see in the trailers. Just fired up a stream to see someone beat it with no flasks left!

Also looks like the invasion mechanics listed for the test were wrong. I just watched someone invade a 3-person co-op group. So who knows, I’m sure it’ll be like normal.

Sounds like a lot of extra little moves, like unique combos after jump attacks, and battle arts changing the weapon moveset.

This could be the moveset variety of Bloodborne (or a little less) plus the weapon variety of Dark Souls.

Sounds super hot.

Well, it’s more Dark Souls. Everything feels nice except a couple times I’m not able to roll like I expect to. Dodging feels okay but the forward dodge covers more distance than I remember in previous games, so it’s hard to get behind people.

There’s a lot of variety in move sets and enemy attacks. They are really putting some development money into all these animations. The boss must have more than 10 attacks including the new moves after reaching 50% health.

Charge R2 feels like it was made for Dark Souls. So satisfying to charge up the greatsword and smash people with it.

No real concerns. The 30 fps is tolerable. It should be more great content when it comes out.

It took me until an hour before the end of the test to remember to test lock-on rolling. It feels 16-way to me. It’s very natural to dodge just past something. I don’t recall if DS2 was 16-way like this or omnidirectional, but it’s better than the rolling in Dark Souls while locked on to an enemy. The only trick is you roll so far it takes some getting used to the spacing compared to DS2. Sometimes I found myself too far away for a backstab or follow-up attack.

You can also sprint while locked on, which helps when running away from giant bosses without having to control two sticks and the run button.

Anyway, this is really nice.

I watched some footage from the network test and had to slap myself out of it because I started drooling all over the keyboard. Media blackout from here on out.

It’s really cute how a bunch of people on reddit are talking about how excited they were to learn what PvP was like during this network test. I guess if you put PvE players in a small zone without much to do over the course of 9 hours, they’ll eventually try PvP and discover how fun and harmless it is.

April 12th

Trailer (all stuff from the gameplay test)

Gameplay footage (the first part reminds me of Bloodborne so much it hurts, and the second part spoils a pretty crazy boss)

PC requirements

Minimum specs:
•OS: Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 10 64bit
•Processor: AMD® A8 3870 3,6 Ghz or Intel® Core ™ i3 2100 3.1Ghz
•Memory: 8 GB RAM
•Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 465 / ATI Radeon TM HD 6870
•DirectX: Version 11
•Network: Broadband Internet connection
•Storage: 50 GB available space
•Sound Card: DirectX 11 sound device

Recommended specs:
•OS: Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit Windows 10 64bit
•Processor: AMD® FX 8150 3.6 GHz or Intel® Core™ i7 2600 3.4 GHz
•Memory: 8 GB RAM
•Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750, ATI Radeon™ HD 7850
•DirectX: Version 11
•Network: Broadband Internet connection
•Storage: 50 GB available space
•Sound Card: DirectX 11 sound device

50 GB of space could be promising. Dark Souls II was 8 GBs, and it definitely looks aged. You never know what the texture/audio split is going to be though.

Probably 10GB of 8 different languages spoken or something equally silly.

03-24-16

I am hoping to have a new PC by then. That game play video looked awesome, although they seem to have got carried away with the blood splatter.

It’s April 12th unless you live in Japan.

I have never bought a game opening week, but I may do that with this game. I played DS2 early enough to have dealt with invaders and it sure does add something to the game, not all good mind you, but another level of entertainment. My only problem may be finding the time to play it as I could be working some long hours then if my plans work out.

Today I was debating whether to set up a Japanese PSN account to try to play this game a few weeks early in March. I was trying to decide whether I’d enjoy a fresh playthrough to experience the combat immediately more than being able to read the text in English.

Well, it looks like the game will be almost 7000 yen, and it costs more than $70 to buy enough Japanese PSN cards for that. If it had an English translation, sure, but I might as well wait for the complete experience and save some money. I was able to avoid Bloodborne spoilers pretty well and I didn’t buy that game for a few weeks.

The special battle art for the dagger is a Bloodborne-style quick-step.

I love how live demonstration videos in Japan always have a woman making lots of “OHHH!!” sounds.

Looking pretty cool. I’m finding that I’m actually enjoying and getting into DS2 far more than I was able to in DS. It’s actually to the point where I’m considering getting DS3, which a few months ago, would never have crossed my mind. I just hope they keep allowing you to summon NPC’s and Players to help with bosses, I’d never get through the game without it lol.

As for the Japanese women I think that’s just how they talk. A friend of mine married a Japanese woman and moved back to Japan where he’s now teaching English. Every Sunday night he and his co-workers do a radio show where they talk in both Japanese and English as a way of help people learn. When someone is talking or telling a story the women on the show make the same sounds.