Dark Souls 3

Sounds good. Thanks.

I had a fun but frustrating experience. My warrior was exploring Farron’s Keep, slogging through the poison sludge to extinguish the fires. So, he was wearing some high poison resistance armor, which as a whole was much weaker than his usual armor. Exploration was going OK, but I was down to 2 flasks for healing. Duty called as I was summoned to protect against a phantom invasion.

It took a bit of time to find by protectee, but he was still alive and kicking. I immediately fell upon the red phantom and we exchanged some damage. He was able to roll out of the way enough to drink a flask. So, I knew he wasn’t averse to healing during some PvP - not good for me with my 2 flasks. Several times I got him down to a fraction of his health and each time he managed to heal. I wish flasks were slower. During this time a caught a glimpse of my summoner just standing around. Why the bastard didn’t help I’m not sure. I must of had the guy close to death 4 or 5 times but couldn’t finish the job. He dragged my into different enemy mobs and eventually I succumbed.

That felt good. On my first playthrough I couldn’t solo the Abyss Watchers and on my 2nd playthrough I did it in about 5 tries. I think originally I wasn’t aggressive enough and he chewed me apart.

First big soul loss since I got the game, lost 30k souls in the Cathedral of the Deep. Finally did clean up that area, probably my favorite level so far.

for your consideration: https://youtu.be/Vf3Wj_d-aOE

Holy shit. Ten tries against
Boss name

Pontiff Sulyvahn

and I think I’ve maybe gotten in three hits total? I may need to summon for this one.

You can completely avoid some of his swings if you stay close behind him. Once he goes into phase two things actually get easier because his shade basically becomes a giant telegraph.

I’m now nearing the end of my 2nd playthrough where I’m going for the achievements and I took down the Nameless King in 3 tries - almost got him down on first try but I derped up. Feelsgoodman.jpg

I’ve taken the ‘free’ level-ups and I’m at Hollowing 99. What’s the downside? Should I be looking to cure it?

If you typically solo things, there’s no real downside. But co-op takes a little hit as you can summon one less phantom when you do summon help. Also, if you do cure it, you’ll have to pay back the souls you “got for free” to level up, but at your current level’s rates, all at once, which can be a pain to accrue and not accidentally lose.

Sounds like I’m in for an expensive time then! I guess the only benefit to taking the levels is to reveal Yuria and her items, none of which I really bought anyway. :D

It also enables an alternate ending if you continue following the quest line.

What do I need to know about this “hollowing” stuff? I’m only a little ways in (getting close to Undead Settlement boss I think). Should I just progress and it will become clear to me or do I need to know something about this?

Also, anybody playing dex/int build? I started with mercenary and I like the moveset of his dual sword default weapons - you can pull off some pretty cool combos, though they are probably not very useful outside of pvp. Have been mostly putting points in vig/end/dex so far and will add some to att/int later as I want it to sort of be a seccondary/ranged option. If anybody has any advice on the dex/int setup I’m all ears :)

While I don’t generally like invaders in Dark Souls games, I actually was having some fun last night while co-oping with QT3’s own ShivaX. We are both members of the first covenant that protects players from PVP by summoning blue phantoms, and some of the guys we got summoned in to help us were just incredible rock stars. I snapped a shot of my heavy armor Knight and Shiva’s Mercenary fighting alongside the incredible (and incredibly named) Estoc Bestoc against an invader that led us into a pack of enemies near the final area of the Undead Settlement.

Moments like this actually make the invasions worth it. We did manage to murder all the enemies including the invader. :)

Another fun moment is before we had befriended the giant we were going to run in and collect a white branch in the area the giant likes to bombard with spears, and the Invader ran into there to lure us in. Turns out the giant doesn’t like invaders, either. LOL! So much fun.

Though they can be annoying as shit when invaders just run into a heavily guarded area and sit and wait for you to drop your guard. So annoying. Thankfully now we’ve both got a giant seed, so I’m eager to really ruin an invaders day with that little trick, which I’ve never seen but can only imagine how great that will be.

I started thinking about this, myself, when I accessed the Crystal Sage Rapier. Haven’t really investigated, but it looks like an awesome weapon for that build.

I pretty much killed Yuria just for her armor set, which I find aesthetically pleasing for some reason. The ring she sells that lets you appear human also makes it look like you’re another host in the summoner’s world, so running some co-op games with several folks wearing it can be a hoot for messing with invaders.

http://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/ (if anyone wants to do achievements/quests, I don’t recommend this for first playthrough).

This cheat sheet is worth its weight in gold. Err, figuratively speaking. I’ve followed it on this latest playthrough and managed to finish all the quests and get most of the spells and all the rings that are available on NG. Some unfortunately overlap so I had to make tradeoffs and I will have to do gestures on NG+ or even a new game because I had to avoid one in particular so I could get a ring from a quest later on. The only thing I have left now is farming covenant items (from mobs) for Old Wolves and Darkmoon. And it really sucks ass, drop rate is abysmal.

Yeah following that checklist is painful, but nothing like the farming. I think it takes 6-10 hours from what I read, not 100.

But I think about that time, then think about my wife and kids, and that’s all it takes to decide it’s not worth bothering with.

I’d rather play another character – if the game holds my interest that long. I’m finding it hard to get motivated to play. Maybe it’s the checklist.

I’m delaying the final boss until I tick off more on that awesome checklist that Bateau just posted. Is it like the other games where you can finish the final boss and don’t have to go immediately to NG+?

It’s not like the other games. You don’t have to go immediately to NG+. :)

That wonderful option was only in DS2 and maybe Demon’s Souls. I don’t recall.

Nope, just DS2. What a smart game that was.

Thanks, Tim. Odd, I didn’t recall that restriction from DS or DaS. Been a long long time since I finished either of those, tho.