Dark Souls 3

Me and Krok are still pretty near the start. You’ll overtake us tonight, probably.

Scott is a little farther ahead and will soon finish the game (judging by the pace he finished the other games in the series).

Scuzz is even farther ahead, but he’s checking out the PvP and Coop systems so I think you’ll overtake him (by his design) soon.

:-P

I’ve never given PvP a try in one of these games (Demon’s Souls the official server was down and I was too lazy to set up the fan server, Bloodborne I don’t have PS+, Dark Souls the first time I think I was just too late), so I might dig into that aspect a bit here, too.

I think my time with Bloodborne must have served me well. Beat the Iudex first try. Mercbex ready to rock:

Hmm, a couple hours in, level 17 and two bonfires on the High Wall, I found a guy and let him out, but now it seems like the only way forward is through a ton of knights, and those guys are very tough…

I should pick this back up again. I was making pretty steady progress a month or two ago and had just reached Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, but went on vacation and haven’t picked it back up to relearn how to play.

Me too! It’s a great feeling. I still have a tendency to check a guide or wiki after I’ve “completed” an area, just to make sure I didn’t miss any essential path/loot/illusory wall. But, I think I may abandon that strategy soon, since I’ve been making my way pretty thoroughly on my own.

Haha! I’m starting to slow down after that initial burst, but I must say, I’m feeling very much in the flow with this one. With DS2 I was consistently running into mechanical/gameplay roadblocks, and I never felt 100% comfortable with it as a result.

DS3 feels much better. But that may just be a result of having played soo many of these games back to back to back. Gitting Gud at Bloodborne probably helped a lot too.

Yeah…F that guy. That little courtyard is a pretty cool area. There are plenty of sidepaths you can run down to avoid that lumbering monstrosity.

Dooo it! This is going to be the place to be all summer ; )

You’re a Dark Souls veteran so you don’t need to hear it from me, but those knights are no joke, so try not to get discouraged. I spent the better part of two play sessions trying to master them (there is one particular red-eyed blue-caped knight I’m sure I spent two hours on…completely optional, btw). Shields (for enemies as well as the player) feel a bit buffed in this one, or maybe the enemy AI is better.

I found the shield kick a bit too inconsistent to use against those knights. It works better with less dangerous enemies. I liked to bait them into an attack and then follow up with a quick strike, or circle around to the left and hit them with a side blow. Later, when I felt more comfortable, I would open up with a jumping R2, or, if I had mana, I’d use my special ability to uppercut their shield away.

Have you used any of the special weapon abilities yet?

You should have an easier go at them as the Knight with that amazing starting shield. The longsword is no joke either.

The uppercut is very solid. Knocks shields away violently.

What’s this? Each weapon has a special move or something? How do you activate it?

After you 2hand the weapon (Y) you hold LB to get into the special weapon stance. While holding LB using either RB or RT will use a special ability which consumes mana (FP).

Hell yea. Adds a bit more depth to combat.

I’ve only used the abilites for long and broad sword.

Psyched to see what other weapons can do.

Oh man, I just rush those guys and kill them before they can transform. I accidentally did it to the one on top of the high wall, and now every time I have to go past the one on the roof I’m sprinting over and mashing L1.

Everything feels kind of slow and sticky after Bloodborne. Maybe I’ll give OoK another try or two today…

Wow, I must have glossed over the tutorial message about this. Can’t wait to try it.

Me too. I don’t think there was a tutorial message about it.

Thanks @Scott_Dobros. Looking it up online, my starting axe for the pyromancer has the special ability of “Warcry”, that should be an interesting one.

That’s where I stopped last night as well. Finding that elevator and shortcut back to the original bonfire. It’s funny that after hanging onto all the souls early on before the firelink shrine, ever since then I haven’t been able to bank hardly any souls at all. I always get greedy and never go back, and end up losing them all. But I know from previous Souls games that this should be fine. I’m sure I’ll catch up on Souls later.

I did manage to get just enough that I can use the longbow now. So my last act last night before logging off was to use the longbow on the dragon and collect the loot in the area he was guarding.

It’s too bad I have nowhere near the stats to use any of the weapons I found there.

I think I bought 99 wood arrows when I first got to the fire shrine and couldn’t spend all my souls after leveling up and going to the vendor, I think the dragon took almost all 99 arrows before he got irritated enough.

Yeah it takes a bunch of god damn arrows.

Good job Krok just running in there! I was too much of a coward.

Edit: how you guys liking the opening area? Def has an Undead Burg vibe, ya?

It’s extremely Undead Burg, which I know very well because I’ve played DS1 like 4 times and never got past Blighttown (although I did somehow get to and past the Butterfly once).

I still feel like the Undead Burg is probably the best opening level of any game ever. I like how the Wall of Lothric messes with the formulae a bit, by branching off in different directions almost immediately, and forcing you down more narrow/perilous paths.

It feels like you are thrown into the hot water a lot quicker.

It does. But it’s so much more lush. There’s so much more detail on everything. Like in the Undead burg, they had a couple of rooms with chairs and tables, and a couple of areas with barrels. In this one, there’s a whole lot more barrels, and tables and chairs and shelves and lamps and odds and ends that make it feel more recent victim of an apocalyptic event compared to DS1, where the event felt like it might have taken place centuries ago. The castle walls and roof tiles, and architecture in general looks much more interesting. That fat knight that circles the fire, he’s surrounded by fresh dead bodies that look recently dead.

The colors palette is similar to DS1, but also much more vivid somehow. And I do love how all these towers and rooms all interconnect, and you unlock shortcuts. They also use height really well. When you get on the roof where you see that one guy who turns into a late version of Iudex, it feels like this is a dead end side area, but it turns out to be the main way to go, down the side of a building, climbing down long ladders and feeling vertigo when fighting near dangerous ledges.

You summed it up perfectly.

The grand Lothric Stairs, where you fight all the skeleton knights leading to Vordt, is my favorite part of that level. It highlights how they’re able to really expand the scale of the environment.

I was a bit letdown by the area that follows, but the grandeur of the High Wall has me excited for what’s to come.

Oh boy, especially if you take a right and it’s like, here is your first group of enemies: two dogs, a halberdier and an axe guy, and oh by the way you remembered to watch out for that crossbowman, right?

The Bloodborne influence is very heavily felt. Enemies are fast. I really miss rally.