Dark Souls 3

But then I won’t get that sweet Flynn’s Ring bonus.

Ugh, fuck those giant crabs.

EDIT: Game feels surprisingly linear so far. About 9 hours in, I guess, in the Crucifixion Woods, and I don’t really have anywhere else to go at this point.

Right after the woods there is a choice. After that, not sure.

Farm the Black Knight in the Crucifiction Area, he can drop a Black Knight Shield.

This fight requires lots of stamina. Try a blossom before attacking him. You can hit him with an arrow a few times before he agros. Try fire. And fight him in the bigger room.

It is actually not that late in the game. If you mean what I think you mean it is a part of the Catecombs.

You do reach a point where you have but one direction to go, then you find an area with a fork again. But yea, this games map is closer to the second half of DS2 than DS1.

Congratulations on beating the tree. So you’re now officially ahead of me, counting even my first run which stalled at the tree.

In my current run, I did get to play briefly last night. I only had about 30 minutes to spare, so I chose to concentrate on just leveling from Level 20 to level 22, and putting points into Strength so that I could try a new weapon I’ve never tried before.

I actually managed to do that, thank god. I’d been losing all my souls lately, so this was a good change of pace, to actually concentrate on always dying in a place where I could retrieve my souls before I died again. And I actually did manage to get to level 22 and got enough strength to try out:

Lucerne is a weapon that was in the first Dark Souls but I never tried it. After trying it out, including it’s skill moves, I was reasonably impressed with the roundhouse type attacks, I decided to make this my “Raw” weapon, since those raw crystals early on were burning a hole in my pocket.

Of course, you can’t just make a raw weapon, you need souls for that. But I already spent my time getting those two levels, I didn’t want to hunt for more, so I chose this moment to go to the vendor and sell all the spare equipment I’d been getting. All those extra Worker’s hats, gloves, trousers, garb and spears I’d been gathering all got sold to the vendor. Hurrah for being able to sell your extra loot! Woohoo! That gave me enough souls to make my Lucerne a Raw Lucerne and enough left over to buy some Wood Arrows too. So I’ll be able to hopefully continue tonight and try out my new weapon on some real enemies instead of just swinging it around the firelink shrine.

Anyone who isn’t a pro at Dark Souls, and I am far from it, should have a bow in their arsenal. If for no other reason than to pull enemies one at a time.

It’s been a lifesaver. Any ideas on how much dex I should have before switching my twinblades from raw to sharp? The internet is not being very helpful here.

Feeling a little stalled out on the Crucifixion Woods. Those crabs are a serious pain in the ass.

So, I was on the Xbox this evening, watching my son, I switched over to Dark Souls 3 for a bit, and made a run at the Rotting Tree again. I don’t know what it was. Maybe the fact that I was trying to keep the controller out of my son’s hands as I was dodging both him and the swipes from the tree, but I beat the tree, and it seemed really easy. Don’t know why I had like 10 deaths to this thing before.

And afterward I discovered that the tree area was a dead end? What the hell? If this wasn’t the way forward what was?

I lit the bonfire and looked at the destinations, and it looks like I already have a destination at the bonfire at the bottom of the elevator. Apparently that bonfire was not a dead end but the way forward.

So… the tree was optional this whole time?

Well, technically, but you need it to make items from boss souls, so it wouldn’t be a good plan to skip it.

The very same.

I am really, really, reeeaaaallly having to resist the urge to kill Leonhard for his armor.

Also, Crystal Sage blows.

Longsword is crazy good in DS3. Not top tier damage per hit but overall DPS is nice and it has an excellent moveset which is worth far more than big numbers. Especially in a game where poise doesn’t mean anything.

Another interesting option is Anri’s sword and building for luck. You can get some really chunky bleed procs with that thing.

But my favourite char remains a vanilla assassin with (b)estoc, parrying shield and spells that allow you to move around silently. It turns Dark Souls into a stealth game and it’s so much fun.

You guys referring to Smoldering Lake?

no345 … I don’t know the name anymore of the area, from where you can access the secret part, it was somewhere in the Tower of Latria type of area (Irithyll Dungeon, looked it up). In Irithyll Dungeon you need to look for messages ;)

I played the whole game coop, so I think I have to go back and beat it solo. Some bosses solo were really hard, so I fell back to a friend. Only problem were the effing invaders.

Got it, also got the Black Knight chest piece. Still rocking the Fallen Knight Armor set (looks too cool) but swapped out the helm for the Executioners (badass) and my shield of choice atm is the Stone Parma. Finding it hard to break away from the Broadsword. It’s just so quick and does such great damage.

Been working in the Bastard Sword more, and just crafted a boss weapon that pretty much gives me Artorias’ moveset…which…wow…I’m guessing Artorias picked up a few tricks from the Abyss Watchers (or vice versa).

Okay, cool. Just got to Irithyll. WOW. What an introduction to that area. eyes popping out of head emoji

Those frost knights are dannnnngerous.

Had a wild run in my limited play time last night. Took out two bosses + a mini-boss, and discovered another branching path with two new areas. Opted to go for Irithyll. Was feeling a bit claustrophobic down in the depths.

Smoldering Lake, while not a huge area, goes into my pantheon of amazing Dark Souls areas. I won’t say much until others discover it for themselves, but I loved everything about it. The approach is so menacing with the loud boom boom booms, and what’s lurking down under those waters! And the cave encounter! And the boss area!

The game is just dripping in lore, and it’s not all hidden behind item descriptions this time. There is a lot of environmental storytelling that I’m paying close attention to.

One of my favorite things about Bloodborne, too.

The sword from those big dudes has me rethinking my winblades dedication…

Explore around this area a bit more…there are some surprises (and good loot!) waiting.

Last night my Pyromancer backtracked a little. It bothered me that I never explored the High Wall properly. I was able to go to the rooms I never explored and eventually found a Cell Key. Of course, by that time I totally didn’t remember where it was that I found a cell that I couldn’t open, so I was trying to explore the rest of the high wall area, but that one area where the dragon used to breath fire is really tough. Oh, and that one mimic in that room always kills me. This time I even knew it was a mimic and it still didn’t care.