Dark Souls 3

Aha! This is where you guys mentioned the jailed dude. No clues as to where he was though. Hmmm, I’ll just have to keep exploring tonight. Then it will back to the Undead Settlement. I did open that door after beating the giant rat, so I have a short cut from the one bonfire to the dudes carrying around the huge cauldrons.

Haha, that giant rat freaked me out so bad the first time I saw him that I just turned around and ran.

Finally did the Sage, with help from Eygon. Actually I’m not sure how much help he was. He was usually a day late and a dollar short with his strikes, but I was extremely more aggressive than previously.

I couldn’t help myself, and I murdered Leonhard for his armor. After having just played Bloodborne, I wanted it too badly to wait (and I looked up his quest, and I’m probably not gonna miss the other items). He was tougher than I expected, though.

The first time I played this game I never found that bonfire. I don’t know how I missed it. I figured there had to be one someplace because the run to the boss was so long.

Yea, I realized later that you meant another area that is later in the game. I don’t know how you would discover that without a wiki or being all knowing. But it is a great area, both for the main boss and the crafting materials found there.

You are ahead of me now. I am in the Demon Ruins.

There are a couple areas where I got lost in every time I play, the Farron Keep, Demon Ruins and the Dungeons.

The Crucifiction Woods area is a big PvP area. In fact, I don’t know how they work but I think players hold fight clubs there. As a Watchdog of Farron or a Blue Sentinel it is probably the area you are most likely to get summoned into. Technically the players should be lower level still but there are ways around that.

Did you go up the elevator? There are several good reasons to explore that area ASAP.

I have played this game many times and this run was the first time I had seen Eygon’s summon sign. And I have never done Leonhard’s quest either. Doing his will ruin another.

That was the sorta branching path I mentioned before. Demon Ruins or Irithyll. I opted to make a break for the surface before heading back down into the fiery dark.

I also need to explore the Smoldering Lake a bit more. Digging the change of scenery in Irithyll.

And one of the best bosses in the game resides there.

Yeah, we’re gonna have to disagree on that.

I never realized how much the entrance to Irithyll, exiting the cave, is like your first exposure to the Ringed City.

I really like that boss, I know some hate it but when I finally learned the boss and could take it down I felt really good about myself. Like with the Abyss Watchers.

F’ing Abyss Watchers. Been stuck on that boss battle for months. Bailed the game because of them. Every time I go back I get slaughtered, hardcore. I cried out in victory the first time I put them down, only to see the big guy rise up with his sword of fire and own me. Now, my skills have degraded to the point I know I’ll never finish the game.

I also bought Sekiro (mistake) and never made it past the Ogre. Sucks getting old.

Decided to start over and try some bigger weapons, and 3.5hrs in I’m back at the woods, probably another hour until I’ve cleared it and will be at the same place as my winblades guy. Not sure what I’ll do yet, if I’ll go back to him or keep going with this one. Both have their good points.

Kolbeast:

Siegward helped me defeat a really scary enemy. I got a lot of souls. And right after that I found a Homeward bone. Uh oh. Was the game trying to tell me something? Nah, I’m being paranoid. It’s a part of the Undead Settlement that I haven’t explored, let’s look around! A bunch of empty houses, right?

Oh, let me check up these stairs.

Errrr… That’s two of the lovely dark witches, they haven’t noticed me yet. Maybe looking at each other, absorbed in their eyes?

I’ll give you one guess at what happens next. :)

He fixes the cable?

The Irithyll Dungeon can fuck right off.

There is so much to hate.

The game scared the living daylights out of me three (3!) times! with the same trick.

Never been so frightened by a game in all my life.

It constantly put me on edge. Not one moment of safety. I felt cornered and in deep shit at every turn.

What a great level.

[Edit for haiku]:

Oh Fearful dungeon,
Branded, cursed; a giant!
Is that a mimic?

Not sure when FROM introduced the grab mechanic. Bloodborne has a ton of dudes that do that exact move: unblockable grab, chomp fase.

You can sort of tell when they are going to do it. They pause for a moment and then spring at you. You can dodge out of the way, or backstep, but the timing is tricky.

I unwisely continue to divide my time between my two characters.

Knight: I made it past the winged creatures on the Road of Sacrifices to the next bonfire where the two Blue Sentinel people were chilling out. I didn’t go much further, but I love that the next enemy is basically trying to wield trees as weapons, and it’s almost as awkward as it sounds. Unless they get you, in which case it’s surprisingly effective. I wonder if I can wield a tree as a weapon later in the game?

Pyromancer: I found the cell again finally so I could use my cell key! Woohoo! Only he wants me to give a gift to a lady, but I already have that lady’s bones in my inventory. Hmmm, I think I’m going to have to disappoint this guy. Also, I couldn’t resist going after the mimic one more time. And I finally got him. It’s funny that they made him the smartest enemy in the game. I was trying to fire arrows at him since he can’t climb ladders, but he was always moving around trying to get to a place where I couldn’t get him with the bow. Very smart. But I still got him. The loot he dropped was a variation of the weapon I started the game with, but I really like it. So much so, I stopped using the Raw Lucerne+2 and the Uchigatana+2, at least for now. I’m enjoying this dark axe.

It’s a shame I died to those two witch ladies I posted above, and then subsequently died again. I could have used those souls to level up a couple more times.

Oh, it’s been in there since at least Demon’s Souls (never played King’s Field). The mindflayers in the Tower of Latria did a grab’n’chomp. Can’t remember offhand if anyone else in that game did.

I know in DS1 remastered they added a grab to the bush dudes in Darkroot, but I don’t recall off hand any other enemy with a grab.

Felt like practically every enemy in Bloodborne after Central Yarnham would come in for a hug.