Darkest Dungeon

Some people don’t like to play dark. Even setting aside the mechanics, I actually don’t like the way the game looks dark and hate the faded level of visual detail. I find it harder on my eyes. “Run dark” is not, IMO, an adequate solution to “reducing the grind”.

I’m actually thinking I made a mistake in how I approached the low light town as well. I’m sitting on so much gold now that I might have been better off skipping cost reduction upgrades; could have had one more upgrade on both the coach and guild instead. I actually have nothing to do with the gold other than buy the occasional trinket.

If I ever do a 3rd hamlet (maybe after some future expansion) I think I’ll try that path.

My problem with Dark is that it only really works well for Short runs, because of that same inventory cap issue. I’m already leaving stuff behind on Medium runs at full light (which don’t take much longer and usually have the benefit of a ‘free’ camp at the end to clean up stress, lowering the overall gold burden). Since I usually want to be doing Medium or longer for the trinkets anyways… it leaves a relatively small niche for when Dark/Short runs feel like the best use of my time.

Hmmm, that’s an interesting thought. I think in longer run you still need the cost reduction upgrades (the cost to upgrade a party for the DD is crazy). But shorter run? You’re probably right.

IMO, this goes back to the inventory system doesn’t quite work as presented. There’s too much loot in medium (and certainly long) runs as it is. I’ve always thrown away 3-5 things, at least, at the end of a medium run and sometimes more (if there’s a secret room for example). And that’s playing above 75% light level. Dark affords you is more rolls over the course of the run, which translates into better overall loot because more rolls is more chances to roll whatever your heart desires/better gems. But stack sizes being what they are you wind up with a situation where rather than having to make choices that are tough but still rewarding you just wind up very frustrated as costs escalate so quickly. you need like 200+ non crest heirlooms just to complete a single line of upgrades in a specific building. Start multiplying that out (generally by 6), and all the Crests you need. And then stacks of 3 portraits just make you want to set everything on fire. Or start summoning demons.

I only do dark runs. Even for boss fights.

Good lord, how often do you lose people to a nasty series of crits in champion cove?

He didn’t say he won very often. :)

I agree with a lot of the complaints on here. This game pissed me off pretty quickly. For me personally they missed the boat, as I really like the idea of being able to build up a party and take it through the game, and then try a new combo in a new game. That’s pretty much impossible to do given the disposable nature of the party members. That disposable nature is not at all in sync with how much you have to grind to build a party in the first place, which is my tandem complaint.

I know people love rogue-likes, I think they are mostly another bane on gaming lol. What could have been for me, a great party building game with a lot of replay, just turned into a frustrating, controller hurling un-install due to some design goal inspired by rogue-likes. There are some rogue-likes that I really…like, but I can’t think of one that’s party based…maybe that’s my real hangup with it. I’m not just losing 1 character and then starting over and trying again.

There is so much neat interaction between classes, but I just feel like I’m constantly being shut off from really having fun with that aspect of the game. Having to constantly take parties that I really don’t want to put together due to the nature of things, really doesn’t set well with me. It’s counter fun, at least the way I like to play party based games.

Eh, I’ve installed this a few times and tried to play it, but I always seem to hit that giant middle finger from the devs that kills most of my party. Maybe I’ll give it one more try with the ezmode mods. I actually may not mind losing parties so much if it’s much faster to get one back up to speed. Taking 10 hours to get a party buffed out, only to lose it in one round of bad RNG is beyond silly to me.

True. =)

To be fair, losing the entire party is almost purely due to not being able to stop taking another step deeper into madness with a stressed out team…

Edit: In my definition, stressed out = around 50 stress.

Alright, I no longer feel like I’m drowning in gold. I’d never tried treating a positive quirk before. When my favorite grave robber got eldritch hater I had to have it locked in. Almost 8000 gold. Now I see where I’m supposed to be spending this.

I just had a string of very unlucky runs that led to loss of a level 3 jester (my roster is 80% 5/6 characters but i’m trying to build a veteran party to finish of cove veteran bosses) and loss of my best level 6 occultist healer. I’m also very low on gold, so i’m having a hard time keeping up with the de-stressing costs , building a level 3 party, and upgrading my level 5/6 guys to be more capable of surviving the champion dungeons. It is getting a bit tiresome at this point, but so far I’m still enjoying it enough to struggle on and try to win with this hamlet. I can totally understand where a lot of you are coming from though…

Lots of good points, Shiva, but this sums up my current frustration. I’ve beaten about 2/3rds of the bosses and had a grand time doing it. I’ve got a tremendous capacity to tolerate failure, pull up my Big-Boy Chain Britches, and have another go. But. I just embarked on a level 5 room battle run and had to quit out after the very first fight with some guardians and stingers where my position 1 hellion got hit with a 19/15 and some nasty bleed. I don’t mind failing a run but not like this, barely out of the starting gate.

It seems they put too much randomness that affects the difficulty, they have seemed to think it was all fair just because it’s a roguelike, but even then there are limits.

New patch in Beta branch as of yesterday, with it going live here in the next day or two it sounds like. Notes:

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-antiquarian-update/

Sounds excellent; new class, new upgrade for the stage coach (recruit high level heroes!), reduced Blacksmith costs, etc.

Definitely steps in the right direction. Still not sure that completely mitigates my issues but I’d be willing to pick it up again in a few months after I clear my current backlog (and the DS3 release early next month) and see where it winds up.

I didn’t know where to put this, as I stumbled upon this trailer and while it has absolutely nothing to do with DD (AFAIK), holy crap the artwork is identical!

I give you The Other Side of the Door

Dang, I wanted the whole movie to look like that!

Developer update!

Town Events are currently planned to deploy in mid to late May. We will also be circulating the patch on the “Coming in Hot” beta branch before wide release, so stay tuned for details if you wish to be one of the first to try out the update!

Nice! I haven’t touched this in months, the slog just became too real, but now I’m only playing Dark Souls 3 cooperatively I need something new to tide me over until Stellaris. Wait, I just realized this update drops after Stellaris. Well, shit.