Day of the Tentacle is coming back!

That’d be pretty awesome to have MM inside at the same tech level of the original DotT.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. There’s no MIDI sound in the remakes, so Monkey Island 2’s music isn’t nearly as dynamic, which makes it more of a tradeoff choosing between the old & new versions.

Day of the Tentacle, on the other hand, doesn’t have any iMUSE in the first place, at least as far as I remember, so there’s nothing to miss about the old version.

Unless they reuse the original voice acting this will be a bust remake. Original or bust!

I’m expecting the same treatment as Grim Fandango, which was perfectly fine (on the PS4, anyway).

There was a little trailer in the PS event

It was a glitchy crashing mess on the vita. It managed to hard crash the vita along with multiple more standard crashes.

I can’t wait to play this. It’s not often that even a game’s name doesn’t give much away. I mean, what the hell could a game called “Day of the Tentacle” be about? I have no clue. So I’m not going to watch any trailers. All I need to know is that I get to play an imaginative new Tim Schafer game. Hurray!

eh? Its a remake of an old game, not a new Tim Schafer game.

To be fair, it wasn’t a joke. I’m just saying excited because it’s new to me. And I’m also excited to be playing a game I know almost nothing about. Whenever people talk about Day of the Tentacle over the years on forums, they always say very vague general things like “I love that game”, but they don’t go into any details on what it was about. It’s not like Final Fantasy VII where I already know that a certain character is going to die even though I’ve never played it. Just one example. It’s weird how certain games get talked about in very specific terms while others are kept vague. I know that when I talk about games like Fable 2 and Prince of Persia 2008, for example, I try to keep my comments vague and not go into any specifics, because I think those games will hold up for years, and people will be able to go back and enjoy them as classics without getting spoiled on plot points or surprising concepts that make them interesting.

Just to provide some more info, they’ve got the original recordings and using them in higher bitrates, which is awesome. The only thing not getting an upgrade is the number of frames in animations. Hopefully that won’t be such a big deal.

I actually found the low frame rate animation kind of annoying. It meant the lip syncing was completely terrible. It’s not a problem when the mouth is made of 3 pixels, as your brain invents the lip syncing. But in the HD version… it just looked wrong?

Or maybe it’s the lack of on-screen text so I’m doing nothing but staring at 3 frames of mouth animation and therefore noticing it more? (I did just look at some original DOTT playthroughs and I don’t find it annoying there, with the low-res mouths and the text)

I suspect you have actually come across references to a couple of puzzles without realising it. I doubt any are quite as (in)famous as the moustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight (a game which I haven’t played but I know all the steps to the puzzle). But the hamster one is pretty frequently referenced

We’ll see. I’ll be the judge on how this remake turns out. I alone will judge! (I’m at score zero now, and willing to go upwards.)

I know some of you are excited about The Division, but the really big news this week is that DOTT is available for pre-order on GoG!

We’ll see. I’ll be the judge on how this remake turns out. I alone will judge! (I’m at score zero now, and willing to go upwards.)

$12.79 with 10% off. Already losing points for high price. At most, should be $9.99. Score now at negative one.

We can expect more remastered games in the future.That is great :)

Our favorite digital historian just got to Day of the Tentacle. It’s one of my favorite games of all time – I highly recommend you read the entry if you are into adventure games at all.

I’ve never heard of this particular person or their work before, but I am a big fan of adventure games so what the heck.

edit: oh man, this site covers a ton of Infocom stuff. OK, maybe this is my favorite digital historian. This and the CRPG Addict at least.

This guy beats CRPG Addict hands down (not that CRPG addict is bad by any means). It’s the best-written history of video gaming in existence, including all the background stuff like the multiple platform wars that took place in the late 70s and beyond . I’m so happy he finally got to the 90s!