Day of the Tentacle is coming back!

This is on sale on PSN for $2.24.

Aw man - a couple years back I emailed Doublefine about the possibility of getting Full Throttle and Day if the Tentacle on Xbox, and I actually got a response. They were quite apologetic, saying those remasters were partly funded by Sony so it pretty much wasn’t going to happen. And they gave me an Xbox code for Broken Age! Which kind of took the sting out. A little.

Pretty excited to be starting a new Tim Schafer game I know nothing about. After watching the intro, first impression: wow, I completely thought a game called Day of the Tentacle would have a Tentacle as the main protagonist. Spoiler: I was wrong.

Nobody tell him!

I finished this yesterday. What a long and epic game! I know it basically only takes place in a single location, but the way they expand that is just so clever and it gives the game such an epic scope and feel. There’s no way in a million years I would have gotten all these puzzles without a walkthrough though. When I tried playing without one for a while, I was constantly stuck so I abandoned that method pretty quickly.

Still, even with a walkthrough, the game felt really long and epic. I already miss these characters. I would love to see a sequel someday.

Could always go back and play Maniac Mansion. In fact, you can play it inside Day of the Tentacle. I know, mind blowing!

I did play part of it. It’s not as satisfying so far. The interface is more awkward, the jokes aren’t as funny. It’s the Rob Gilbert level of humor, not the Tim Schafer level.

Can’t argue with that. But it’s about the closest thing you’re going to get to an actual sequel.

Well, there’s a fan sequel: Return of the Tentacle by catmic, pepper-mint-audio (itch.io)

There’s a just a “prologue” right now, that appears to be well-regarded. I haven’t played it myself yet, so I don’t know how much there is.

Hey, that’s cool! I find out the most interesting stuff around these parts.