Daylight Saving Time - Worst Day Ever

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

Those assholes were probably going to get coronavirus anyway.

People die.

There are normally only about 100 pedestrian fatalities per week. So either the rate nearly triples in the first week of DST, or strong effects persist longer than one week. Both are very hard to believe.

Several groups have tried to corroborate or refute the findings in the 2004 paper you cited. In 2017, a BMJ review of all available literature surrounding road deaths after DST determined the following:

Twenty-four studies met the inclusion criteria. Seventeen examined the short-term impact of transitions around DST and 12 examined long-term effects. Findings from the short-term studies were inconsistent. The long-term findings suggested a positive effect of DST.

That…
I don’t know how to take that statement. I mean, if it were you, would that be okay?

Or one of your friends or family members?

How about this study?

Although, that is just fatal car crashes.

Crossing my fingers too! Get on it CA

I’m sure I wouldn’t be happy. But there are all sorts of fucked up and silly reasons that people die. We need a better reason than just “a few extra people might die”.

Requires an act of Congress. Seems…unlikely.

Why?! Why would need a better reason?!?

The isn’t a single reason to do this. It’s like a took a knife and slowly cut ourselves and let it bleed and said, 'Well, it hurts, but too much so I guess we should keep doing it.".

How about, just stop? There is no benefit, and its damaging for no reason.

Cause a lot of people like it.

For the thing that we do because the Kaiser thought it was a good idea in 1916?

Nobody worthwhile likes it.

Not a single person made upset by fixing this would make me sad.

Oh well. Until you figure out a way to get Congress to pass that law, you’re stuck with it.

We Californians already passed on initiative on this a year and a half ago. But we can’t switch to permanent Daylight Savings Time without an act of the US Congress. No idea what the holdup is out in Washington.

I mean we all want permanent Daylight Savings Time (i.e., an extra hour of sunlight in the evening) right, not permanent normal time (i.e., dark before you get home from work).

Last I heard CA’s law was limbo for some reason, and it wasn’t due to the federal government.

It’s because they haven’t actually gotten the bill of the California Senate yet. They keep saying they will, but they haven’t yet.

I like the extra light in the morning and don’t care for it in the evenings. I mean, if its a problem, just start an hour earlier in the day, and leave earlier. What’s hard about that?

But, I’ve emailed my congressmen, and one of my senators and the local state representative. Better to start on this early.

Grrr. WTF California Senate, get with the program.

There are dozens of studies on the effect of DST, some show that it reduces fatalities and some show that it increases them. Most show no effect.

What made you select this study?

Here is the graph they use to support their hypothesis. According to the authors, there was a death spike in April on the week after DST 1996-2006. But I see many similar spikes throughout the year. Including a spike the week before DST. To me, they are very hard to distinguish from noise.

In 2007, the date for DST changed from April to March. And the authors point out that there is a new spike associated with the new March date. But if you look closely, there is still a spike in April, even though DST no longer occurs in April. The authors ignore this.

If you wanted to prove that DST causes a spike in traffic deaths five weeks before DST has happened, you could prove it using these same data. It really is a case of only seeing what you want to see.