Days Gone coming to PC

I was very pleasantly surprised by it as well. Even the hordes were fun to figure out the best way to engage.

Glad you enjoyed it! I really love the game.

I really loved my time with it, glad you did too! Although extremely unlikely, I’ll continue to hold out hope for a sequel.

Yeah, this is such a great game. I enjoyed it on PS4 but the game really shines on PC.

I love trying to take out the hoards (sorry hordes) in the beginning of the game when you are still weak. You really need to throw everything you have at them and use the environment to the fullest.

When did “hordes” become “hoards” ? I am asking because I literally just saw a thread about Days Gone elsewhere using the same word :)

Since people stopped being taught spelling at school.

Also, auto-correct.

That’s a fair point.

But you aren’t wrong about teaching spelling. I mean, I’m a southerner, even though I have been living in YankeeLand for two decades or more now. I grew up with, shall we say, some variability in spelling as a matter of course. “Biled p-nuts” for “boiled peanuts” on roadside signs, for instance. And as a historian, I realize that standardized spelling is a relatively modern thing. When I worked on the papers of President James K. Polk (his archived papers, at the University of Tennessee, not in his actual office in the 1840s; I’m not that old!), I saw first hand how even national figures would swap spelling around quite often.

But in the modern era we have come to expect a certain degree of commonality in how we spell things. And the students I teach in my college classes, while usually really good, also usually rely totally on spell check and have very little internal understanding of spelling. Does it bug me? Yeah, I confess sometimes it does. As I try to tell them, it’s no skin off my teeth, but if you send in an application to a firm and you can’t spell half the words you use, you have a problem.

Apologies for the homophone mixup. I typically don’t fill out applications in the same manner I construct my posts here: on the phone while in the drive-through line at Taco Bell.

While we’re on a tangent, can I ask what that was like, @TheWombat? I’m assuming you had to stay in the archives where the papers were kept, right? What kind of security is there for papers like that? Could you touch them? Like, with your actual hand? I’m assuming the papers are protected, or you at least have to wear white gloves while handling them or something? But how cool would it be to touch something that you know President Polk had touched as he was writing it himself!

-Tom

Yes, I have noticed this among older but still “modern” English writing, too, like revolutionary-era stuff. What I have always wondered is, what did they think while they were doing it? I can’t think of a particular word example, but I know I have seen them write a word one way in one sentence, then a different way in maybe the next sentence or two. Did they ever stop and go, “why did I spell it that way here but this way over here,” or would that have just been a totally alien thought?

We worked not surprisingly with transcripts. The originals are way too fragile and valuable to be grubbed on by mere historians. Back in the early and mid-20th century or so a cadre of people worked as typists to transcribe stuff. The originals are, well, I don’t exactly know where they are. Part of the problem is that much of the correspondence from a president ends up in private hands. This is especially true for pre-20th century stuff. When a president from Polk’s era wrote to someone, there may or may not have been a copy. If he wrote it himself, instead of a secretary, most of the time there was no copy kept.

The families of the people to whom Polk wrote often keep those letters, and just as often sell them to autograph collectors. Countless pieces of historical relevance have been lost to autograph hunters who likely as not will destroy the rest of the letter and keep just the signature. Even if they keep the whole thing intact, they often believe (oddly, IMO) that letting scholars transcribe the piece will somehow lessen its value to a collector, and thus even among the pieces that are intact out there there are many the papers projects never get to see.

We did have access to photostats of originals, which were awesome, if really hard to decipher sometimes.

Fascinating, nevertheless @TheWombat. I mean, yes, of course transcripts. I don’t know why that didn’t occur to me. I pictured you in white gloves holding an ancient piece of parchment and poring over it with a magnifying glass. :) I dated a librarian for a long time and I loved hearing her talk about all the special measures they took for their super secret collection of Rare Books That Normal People Are Not Allowed To So Much As Fucking Touch.

And it never occurred to me what a bane autograph collectors must be to historians. Thanks!

-Tom

So bizarre.

8th best selling PS4 game.

That is an unexpected list. I would have expected Spider-Man to be the best selling PS4 game, but I was wrong.

Maybe the list isn’t up to date? Spider man sold a lot.