DC Universe Online: the modern age (it is now Free to play)

So, longest load screen ever? I assume it had something to do with the fact that I was 1200th in line, which oddly only took about 10 minutes to go through but I have been sitting at the splash screen for 20 minutes now.

I have only completed the tutorial–flying, dual pistols and gadgets–kinda fun for sure. I think a real plus to this one is that there are actual superheros in the game.

The sad part is they have a potentially good game that since (re)launch 5 days ago has made it almost imposible for anyone new to really appreciate what´s good about it.

With all these problems, they are boycotting themselves, since ftp is the way they were supposed to make some revenue. How are new people going to stay and spend some cash if after a 14gb dowload they can´t even get into the game of play for more than 1 hour?

There isn’t very much in the store though. I was thinking about buying something small to upgrade my account to premium but i can’t find anything that interests me at all.

I can deal with lag, but having five different spots where the game can stop working before I can even play is not right (loading up the launcher, starting game, connecting to server, login queue and loading screen.) I don’t know if those problems happened before everything went F2P, but they need to get that fixed asap as they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Well, I took the plunge - it’s free after all :)

As a lover of superhero MMOs, a stone gone fan of CoH and a lover of CO, I’m pleasantly surprised so far. DCUO does some things better than either of these two games, and some things worse - just what you’d expect, I guess. How pleasant to have a choice of superhero MMORPGs!

One thing I thought I’d mention in passing - there’s a CGI cinematic at the very beginning that shows what superhero action in movies should look like. The sense of power is really very well realized.

Anyway, just started a Mental hero on the EU PvP server - Absolutely Mental, a DCUO version of a Mind/Storm Controller I had on CoX. The conversion is looking good so far, though it looks like I’d have to dip a bit too far into the Iconic pool to get me some of the stormy effects I had with her in CoX, thus rendering my Mental trees a bit weak. We’ll see.

The action is good, though I have a feeling that I may be going to get RSI in my mouse fingers with this game.

It’s surprisingly like CO in some ways - but whereas DCUO’s fighting seems to be breathlessly kinetic and feels powerful, CO’s fighting feels more devastating in comparison. You’re not doing as much button pressing, but when you do press a button, it has a relatively more devastating effect (talking comparison at early levels here). Both DCUO and CO are too far from the standard MMO style of CoX for comparison (although CoX was always one of the fastest-feeling standard MMO combat styles, for my money).

Anyway, might add more as I get more into the game, but impressions are definitely favourable so far (lvl 7 or something). Graphics are great, the missions are engagingly done.

But most of all, dammit, it’s just a lot of fun to be “in” the DC Universe. Paragon City and Millennium City are wonderful places to be in their own right, but to be in Metropolis - well, that’s something a bit special to an old comics fan. To be fighting alongside the big Boy Scout in your first mission in the game is just sentimentally gratifying. Something I never in a million years dreamed I’d experience when I was a kid reading the comics, that’s for sure :)

Tonight Ingot (Mr. Grimm) and Bamboozler decided to go looking for prey:

He being a flying dude and me a measly acro, he got way behind enemy lines, so I got me a trinket (my premium purchase) which allows me to turn into a flying lizard and soar:

We found our first kills of the night:

And then it got hectic:

Bad screens, but I was too busy clicking away to really focus on that :)

After we were ambushed cowardly by a large group (via the unfathomable plot of setting up a bait that we eagerly took) we got another guy with us and he proved to be a decisive factor in what followed: a veritable massacre of heroes, we killed TONS of them, defending the imperiled population of talking gorillas they seem intent on killing. Hell if DC cared they would call this night “Crysis of infinite ganks”. More often than not we won the battles against groups of 4 or 5 heroes, mostly couple lvls highger. It was FUN!

BTW: trough all this I saw Jab coming online a number of times, and tried to talk to him but I don´t think he ever (from his side of the pc) really ever got in.

Ok I´m reading the official forums and this worries me: apparently, ftp players and premium players have a maximum ammount of money they can use. 1500 credits and 2000 respectively.

Now, at first I tought this meant “most cash you can carry around at any time” and figured I could live with it. But apparently it means “the total ammount you will be able to spend EVER unless you buy more with real life money”.

So today for example I did some repairs, that would mean I have already spent, what, 50 bucks out of my 2000? I also bought stuff, some 400 worth in equipment.

So that means I am already down to 1500 on my first couple playing days… I just can´t see how my character can survive when I´ve spent all of my 2000 and can´t repair anymore.

Plus, I think it´s a stupid, stupid decision. I am certainly not paying another 5$ or 10$ a month to be able to repair gear. If this is so, and I might be misunderstanding, I would just stop playing.

I finally got on for the past hour, it seems like either I’m able to play early in the afternoon or late at night.

I thought the currency limit was how much you could hold total at one point. If that’s true, that is one of the dumbest design decisions I’ve heard in sometime.

Im pretty sure its just what you can hold at any given time.

Hazarri, baby Green Lantern™ checking in to FIGHT EVIL.

I’m swapping between PVP and PVE servers a lot so add me either way I guess!

Currently 4284 In the queue (was 6200 ish an hour ago) I don’t know anything much about DC online, but did they not add more servers before going F2P? The one server for all the EU clearly isn’t enough. Last night i was about 8500 in the queue and not much better this morning.

The hour i got to play before the server going down was fun, but im on the verge of uninstalling this, too many good games out now, and the next week to be stuck in 1-3 hour long login queues!

they use MEGASERVERS, baby!

I can confirm this isn’t true. I just hit the cap, went and bought some things, then sold old equipment to hit the cap again.

edit – and I’ve spent over 2k

Man that was fun last night. Unfortunate that there are no rewards for world pvp kills, but oh well.

I hopped on this morning and got to level 10, so go ahead and catch up. The quest rewards and alerts getting to 10 will fill up all your gear slots with greens/blues. I won’t be on again until late tonight.

World PvP (or is it really “realm” PvP? with 2 “realms” freely roaming and intermingling in the “world”?) is a HELL of a lot of fun in this game, it’s like a continuously available deathmatch that’s there if you go looking for it; yet it’s seamlessly integrated into the virtual world. It feels right, there’s no artificiality about it - it’s archetypal heroes v. villains after all. You often find yourself, e.g., ambushing a lone villain, then some passing villains will join in on his side, then some passing heroes will join in on your side, all quite easily turning into a huge, delightful button-mashing ruckus!

This is greatly facilitated by the minimap being very clear (in terms of icons) about when your potential opponents are about. The minimap makes it possible to look for and join a fight when you’re in the mood, but it also makes it possible to avoid a fight when you aren’t looking for one.

Amazingly, the PvP also seems to be reasonably balanced-feeling (at least up to lvl 8 so far). I’ve never at any point felt grossly outmatched by someone roundabout my level. I’ve “arrested” some and been “knocked out” some, given some and gotten some, and on-level solo encounters are usually long enough to go back and forth a few times to make it exciting, but not drawn-out enough to get tedious.

In fact, I’ve got to say that this is actually the first MMO I’ve ever played where I’m actually PvP-ing away merrily with the whole crowd, it just feels natural, 'splodey and spectacular fun. This may also be because over the years I’ve gradually been turned to the dark side by EVE, but EVE PvP is like wading through glue compared to this. It’s superhero PvP - fast and furious - wheeeeee!!! :)

Man, CoX and CO really missed a trick with not giving the option of world PvP right out of the box.

So far I’m having a lot of fun with my tech dual wielder compared to my magic martial artist. One reason is that I’m still not sure how the magic powers are supposed to work, I was reading the descriptions and there are mentions of red karma, yellow karma and so on.

Also any idea what the red bar that fills up through combat is for?

those karma things are buffs/debuffs. From what i understand just messing with my sorceress, a number of their spells do MORE if you have red soul buff on yourself (which you get from a number of other abilities). They then consume the buff i think.

The karma one is the same except i believe it is a debuff on the enemy. Use a skill which gives an enemy the debuff and then it powers up abilities which support it.

The red bar is your super charge (something like that) bar i believe. A small number of abilities will say they use a certain percentage of this bar to be used.

Heh, where to begin? :P

You really should start to play Legends as early as possible. I hated it first, because I had no idea what I was doing and there is no real way to test the different characters and their powers. But you learn how the interrupt-block-block breaker system works and you get influence (for Tier 2 pvp gear) and even Marks for T3 gear while still leveling up.

Villains start Legends with Harley, she uses a 2-handed hammer. Its a good idea to get a 2-hander, respec into it (once you have enough skill points) and train the weapon combos on the dummys in the hall of doom. Once you have 10 marks of legend you can buy Robin (Staff) or Huntress (Martial Arts), they play quite differently.

A pretty new feature are duels, it’s great to duel a friend and it’s a nice way to learn the combat system.

Oh, and everyone starts as dps. Never forget to use a power before you start a weapon combo. Only then you get the 35-60% damage bonus mentioned in the descriptions of the powers for being in dps role.

The “red bar” is your supercharge. You can use it for special abilities, some weapon attacks also have additional effects like a knock-back if the bar is full.

OMG the queue! No. 5000-odd. Tiddling about on interwebs while waiting. Gone down to 2000-odd in about 15 mins.

(This is on the EU PvP server)

Later: well, the thing crashed after I alt-tabbed, had to re-log, again (5000-odd again) waited, and when I next alt-tabbed back the game seemed to be stuck at the Power Girl’s Tits loading screen.

Fingers crossed, 3rd time lucky now, going to make sure the game is in focus when I’m down to the last few numbers in the queue this time (starting at 4400-odd this time, not quite so bad), and in view of the latest official message, I will stare at Power Girl’s tits for as long as I have to this time …

I have to say, as an old hand at MMOs, this doesn’t bother me too much, but I can’t see people who aren’t used to MMOs being particularly pleased by this. OTOH, it is free after all … :)

They trumpeted their Megaservers™ and then got burned. I say give it a bit mate, it´s fun. Last night at least with Mr.Grim we were laughing our asses off, despite all the nagging faults the game has. I´m glad there´s no xp for killing :)

Razgo and Skorin, thanks for the info! I can happily spend ungodly ammounts of time in the game now with no worries :)

Amasius: thanks! keep them coming, I like the pvp in the game. And that was only open world impromptu fighting, haven´t tried any of the team oriented stuff yet.

Finally: guys, post the names of your characters! and pics!

Edit, from the official forums: Those of you that appear to be “stuck” at the loading screen. We believe you are actually being put in the login queue following creating a new character, but the queue isn’t being displayed. We’re investigating this further. Please simply wait at that screen and you will get in.

Edit: oh god 5045 in queue, hah!