Death Stranding doesn't just have Norman Reedus. It has everyone!

Well as I mentioned above, I have absolutely zero interest in actually playing Death Stranding, but I am very much interested in watching someone else play.

Some of Kojima’s best early work were visual novels - I guess technology has finally progressed to a point where he can go back to that genre and innovate on it.

In a game where the gameplay is non-stop crossing of large distances, that sounds like a nightmare of anti-fun. “Hey, ever wanted to hold a Tony Hawk Pro Skater grind for 10+ minutes while carrying boxes and dealing with equipment that degrades over time?”

I actually quite like the sound of the core gameplay, especially in a landscape as beautiful as the game looks from videos, but I know the Kojima bullshit would just annoy me too much. I nearly gave up on MGS V during the opening scene.

Starts off review with:

What the hell is Death Stranding?

Ends review with:

At least now we know what the hell Death Stranding is: a disappointment.

Rocks and cliffs are everywhere, and it’s on you to build bridges (of course), highways, and whatever else is necessary to traverse these spaces. And even when you do invest heavily into the game’s version of Infrastructure Week, the time rain will degrade any structure in the world, and if you don’t add resources to repair them, they’ll disappear.

Oh man, nope nope nope nope.

You know, having watched a few hours with a couple of streamers playing this game, I might be wrong about it. Looks kind of fun, and definitely interesting (read: batshit insane) enough to experience for myself. Might have to pick it up when it releases on PC.

I’ll try this when it drops to like 20 bucks. I can’t see how I would possibly pay full price for such an odd premise.

Hopefully when it hits PC , mods can make it better.

What sort of reviews did Heavy Rain get? That’s another game I recall being quite polarizing. You either loved it or hated it, depending on your tastes (or likes/dislikes of David Cage). I’m fine with walking/fedex simulators if the world I’m in is beautiful and interesting. Not crazy about seeing Norman Reedus naked though, which according to Conan happens quite a bit in this game lol.

Same here. I want to experience this game, but not enough to pay full admission price.

So I guess the lesson here is that the French love Kojima like the Germans love Hasselhoff?

I perked up at “walking simulator.” Some of my favorite games of the past decade have been walking simulators. But the Polygon review makes it sound like there’s no comprehensible story to speak of (i.e. it’s a Kojima game), which… I don’t know.

Am I the only one that got this mixed up with the new game coming someday from the Dark Souls guy (working with GRRM in some way)? Never been a Metal Gear Solid fan at all so my interest dropped about 99% when I realized I was completely wrong on the designer.

It’s a literal walking simulator, not a “walking simulator”

Summer 2020

Hm? It’s a joke, it’s just that’s it’s written in French. They’re all shipping companies! (ba dum tss)

Or did you just make a joke about the joke?

I’m keen to check it out on PC, but ouch - that’s kinda expensive.

This review is making me buy this game.