Debris - Fringy sci-fi on NBC

Anyone know anything more about this? YouTube’s algorithm fed me a clip and it looks interesting.

PS - I forgot to add that I think the show will have to be amazing to break out given its name. “Debris” is not a great name for a TV show IMO.

One of the actors’ names is Scroobius Pip, which sounds like a name straight out of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

When mysterious wreckage starts falling from the sky, a secretive international agency is tasked with figuring out what it is, where it came from, and most importantly… what it can do. British agent Finola Jones and American agent Bryan Beneventi are partners who have very different styles – she’s warm, intuitive and detail-oriented, and he’s charming, confident and guarded. But they have no choice but to trust each other as they track down the debris scattered across the Western Hemisphere. Each fragment has unpredictable, powerful and sometimes dangerous effects on the everyday people who find it. Every discovery is also a race against time, because shadowy outside forces seek these objects for nefarious purposes.

The cast includes Jonathan Tucker, Riann Steele, Norbert Leo Butz and Scroobius Pip.

Creator and showrunner J.H. Wyman will write and executive produce alongside his company, Frequency Films. Jason Hoffs, Jeff Vlaming and Samantha Corbin-Miller will also executive produce.

“Debris” is produced by Frequency Films and Legendary Television in association with Universal Television.

And another is Norbert Leo Butz, which, I mean, I guess I never really grew up past age 12.

His actual name is David Meads. He is a hip-hop artist who performs under that stage name.

Haha, you beat me to it. I had no idea he did acting, though- I saw that name up there and was like “that guy from 'Thou Shalt Always Kill? '”. Love that song, and that album (Angels).

Detritus would have been a way cooler name. Especially if it was the detritus of a coming war.

I was surprised to see it is NBC, that plot description screams FOX.

Sounds terrible to me. I’m sure there will be lots of angst and pointless dialogue.

He’s won a couple of Tony’s on Broadway so he’s got some chops.

Gotta say I’m interested, sounds like “The Breach” on TV. I loves me some “what does this button do?” Sci-Fi. I fondly remember an old Larry Niven short story where a guy finds some super-advanced assassin weapon and has to figure out what the buttons do on the fly. One of them was . . . in bad need of a nerf.

That story was the basis for a Star Trek animated series episode. IIRC the story is just titled The Weapon.

Thank you!

Debris will probably be terrible, but it is exactly the sort of thing I will watch anyway, and the Fringe pedigree just makes it more of a lock for me.

@Houngan’s story kinda reminds me of “Kin”, a movie about a kid that finds a futuristic weapon in the aftermath of a battle, and then a road trip with his older brother on the run from a crime boss ensues in which the kid figures out what the weapon is capable of while mysterious figures pursue them to obtain the weapon back. It was a mediocre movie at best, but it had an amazing soundtrack by the band Mogwai.

Ooh, I’m a big Mogwai fan! To amazon!

Ah, okay, it’s that one season of The Flash with the chair dude as the main villain.

I mean, tbh, that’s a solid premise for a Mystery of the Week Scifi Agent Detectives show. I’m onboard if it’s convenient to stream, sure.

Or like how Smallville was about people who got powers from kryptonite meteor fragments every week when it started…

“We’re Not Done” (the end title credits for “Kin”) is one of my favorite Mogwai tunes!

I watched the pilot over the last week.

It definitely has some Xfiles vibes, except with none of Mulder’s playfulness. It’s like a double dose of Scully. It kind of reminds me of the first episode of Fringe that way (I didn’t watch any further so that’s as far as I can compare it to Fringe).

It might be too much of a downer show for me to continue.

I watched the pilot also. It was weird, and I wasn’t an Xfile fan, so this is a pass for me. If you loved Xfiles might be worth checking out, but not for me.

Well, I was a fan of both The X-Files and Fringe. I liked it and it has a lot of potential. The one thing I noticed though, is that is very fairly dark and serious with little the of tension relief that both The X-Files and Fringe used to great effect. That was a very important part of both of those shows and if Debris forgoes it and runs the entire show straight up dark and serious, it wont have the same fun factor.

I would genuinely recommend proceeding through Fringe if you ever have the time (I know your TV schedule is as crazy as mine!). The first half of S1 feels like a very rough mid-00s Fox production of bad X-Files fanfic, but as the metaplot ramps up and the actors get to lean into their characters a little more, it rapidly becomes a thrilling ride to the conclusion, and each subsequent season got bolder and bolder as time went on. It goes some really amazing places that the pilot would never lead you to predict.

I think it’s only streaming on IMDB TV these days, which, I’m not exactly sure what that is. But I think you have to watch ads on IMDB TV, which is a non-starter. Maybe when it comes to a real streaming platform.

Can I skip season 1?