Dems 2019: Dem Hard With A Vengeance

Thanks! That’s the one. I was able to read it when opened in an incognito tab.

This was more or less the section read by Bill on his show.

Also, presumably some of those white people are Republicans who don’t really mind the blackface, they just want to see the Democrat drummed out of office.

You know what I don’t see in that article, a lot of people trying to claim ignorance and excusing it. What I do see is he is saying it is racist and offensive because it is.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/blackface-scandal-doesnt-surprise-people-of-color/ar-BBTmgIP

You can be not surprised and still not happy about.

Is someone writing the article, or responding to it here, happy about racism, blackface, and insensitivity? I mean, to me the “not happy” part seems like the given.

It seems like Justin Fairfax’s chief defense against the two allegations leveled against him is that he passed multiple, high level FBI background checks long after those incidents took place.

That seems super flimsy to me, even given the rigor with which those background checks are performed, to be honest. They miss stuff sometimes.

Stay tuned, I guess.

I am referring to the idea that African Americans are shrugging because they’re not surprised and voting for the candidate that supports them as if it’s not a big deal. I am fairly certain if they had an equal choice who did not have racism in their background, they might choose him or her, or just one that admits it is as bad as it really is.

Blackface is not a minor thing. It’s more than numbers in politics, more than polling.

Those who don’t see blackface as a problem debate that the act doesn’t fall into this category because people in blackface don’t mean to be offensive, despite the practice long being used to dehumanize black Americans and position them as inferior to whites.

It’s a framing that not only makes it practically impossible to have frank discussions of the racism intricately tied to blackface, it also sidesteps the concerns of black people angered over its use.

This presents a challenge when it comes to addressing racism in general, and particularly the systemic racism — seen in issues like mass incarceration, voter suppression, and wealth inequities — that has received increased attention in recent years. After all, if even things like blackface can be dismissed as not racist or not racist enough to warrant consequences or condemnation, it makes more subtle forms of racism and discrimination that much harder to address.

Not sure where else is better for this…

There’s statewides this year.

Northam hangs on, his career’s over, but he’s got time to make up for this. The AG will hang on as well. The Lt.Governor’s the one in real trouble.

I remembered yesterday that I did have a friend dress in blackface once as part of his Halloween costume. He dressed up as a member of Kiss. Kiss performed here Friday night as part of their farewell tour.

Can’t tell if you’re actually being serious about the term or not. I mean it’s pretty obvious that this:

isn’t blackface in any way, shape, or form.

Nobody. Said he was GOOD at makeup.

Ha ha, I forget they did it that way. I was thinking it was black with white accents.

Did I tell you I saw KISS live in the 70s? I am freakin old. :)

On a very weak night of SNL, this sketch was probably the best.

“But, what if it was for a Halloween costume of a black person?”

It’s nice to know I am not alone.

Am I missing something here? Omar’s comments don’t sound anti-Semitic too me, rather she’s just being critical of Israeli settlement policy and their lobbying influence on Washington.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/02/11/rep-omars-latest-tweets-expose-thin-line-between-criticizing-israel-being-labeled-anti-semitic/?utm_source=reddit.com&utm_term=.e52b9b3a2e47

But a recent tweet from Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) — one of the first Muslim women elected to Congress — is the latest example of how some of the newest members of Congress are struggling to criticize Israel without incurring condemnation and accusations of anti-Semitism.

Omar suggested in a tweet Sunday that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) supports Israel only for campaign donations.

“It’s all about the Benjamins baby,” she tweeted, referencing the 1997 Puff Daddy hit featuring the Notorious B.I.G., Lil’ Kim and The Lox.

Omar was responding to a tweet from Glenn Greenwald, a journalist who criticized the Republican Party as “obscene” for equating criticism of Israel by Omar and Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) to Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King’s history of sympathizing with white supremacists.

After people asked Omar what she meant by responding to questions about McCarthy’s motives by tweeting a song about getting money, she tweeted, “AIPAC,” an acronym for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, an influential pro-Israel lobbying group known for spending millions over the years to send lawmakers on visits to Israel.

Criticizing Iran or Saudi Arabia doesn’t make you an Islamophobe. Criticizing Israel or their lobbyists doesn’t make you an antisemite. This is all ridiculous, hypocritical and completely unsurprising from the GOP.

That’s my take too but some House Democrats wrote a letter to Pelosi and now she and Shumer are asking that Omar apologize.

Also for reference, McCarthy’s attacks against wealthy (and Jewish) Democratic activists as well as George Soros.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/politics/tom-steyer-mccarthy-tweet/index.html