Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Ya, it’s quite good against big slow targets.

After you hold it on target, it’s a firehose of damage. It’s got some kick though, so you need to keep pulling to fight the recoil… but against big things, it can melt them.

Ultimately, damage ends up being similar to Merciless, but it’s only using energy ammo.

Is Coldheart a random drop, or a quest reward? If it’s the former, then Merciless is still better for a Raid, since Xur was selling it, and you get your whole group to buy one. If it’s the latter, then you’re right, everyone should just choose Coldheart, whatever that is, as a quest reward.

Oh, there’s really no reason NOT to buy Merciless from Xur if you don’t have it… Legendary shards are abundant. Buy it.

Coldheart is the pre-order weapon, while also being a random drop. I think I have 3 of them now. If you pre-ordered, you’ll either get a code that gives it to you, or you get it automatically at the end of the campaign if you pre-ordered a digital version.

A nine-part, zillion-word review.

IMG_0529

I’m exaggerating. It’s nine parts and 7,697 words!

Also Mercilessis incredibly effective for a particular spot in the raid. After 3 shots it’s firing as fast as a scout which use useful in the first key room on the yellows that rise from the chains. It is also good against the hounds in the next room.

The only way to really grind at that point are the heroic public events for exotic engrams. At a drop rate of ~5% that sounds tedious beyond belief. There shouldn’t be any grind to the mods. They’re just a minor Glimmer sink (and since my understanding is that drop levels are based on the base light rather than the modified light, there’s not even any kind of feedback cycle there).

The intended way to advance is clearly to just do as many powerful gear milestones as possible each week. Not sure what the expected rate of return is on each of those, but I went from 265 to 281 today by just playing the parts of the game I enjoy, and as a side-effect finishing all the powerful gear milestones I will do this week (clan xp, flashpoint, nightfall; the raid is obviously much harder, and fuck the crucible).

It really depends. Last week’s Nightfall was really generous with time.

But this week… We started it five times. Won the first time with 30 seconds on the clock. Then two of the players switched to their secondary 290+ characters, and we ran out of time 3 times in a row. It wasn’t even close, the boss was still at about 1/3rd health every time.

On the final try we got all the early sections just right, and based on the start of the boss battle were projecting a win with about a minute left. Then the boss somehow fell off a ledge and died with 5:30 remaining on the clock. So just hoping that happens again might be your best bet for a fast enough finish…

Still no Rat King for me, since the other players hadn’t picked up the quest on their secondary characters :(

Hunters, some research leads me to conclude you have garbage clothes.

Now that reddit post is incomplete, and maybe there are some shader and outfit combinations that look a lot better than any of the complete gear sets modeled there.

Anyone got a cool looking Hunter to prove me wrong?

That Exodus Down armor looks pretty cool, but no, none of them are blowing me away. Now if I can include exotic armor then I don’t leave the house without my Lucky Pants.

Yeah, the Exodus Down is probably my favorite for the Hunter too. Maybe Wildwood or Lost Pacific.

Just trying to pick a fight because I think the Warlocks and Titans all have cooler options. Titan looks awesome in Wildwood and Lost Pacific (and Terra Concord if you want to cosplay as a Halo Banshee). Warlock looks really good in Lost Pacific, Exodus Down, and Gensym Knight, and badass in Ankaa Seeker, though I doubt I’ll manage enough Crucible to collect that set.

OK why not, I’ll fight - I don’t really care for any of those Titan armor sets either. What’s with all the massive shoulder armor, is this World of Warcraft? By comparison, the warlocks came out way ahead - almost all of them are at least pretty cool.

Wildwood looks like some kind of retro tank-mech-metal gear. Lost Pacific looks like an astronaut suit. The bulky shoulders look appropriate in the former, and are the least offensive in the latter.

I have no idea how you went from 265 to 281 in a day.

I figure weekly I can manage the Nightfall, Flashpoints, and Clan XP milestones. Crucible I can do if I get really motivated. Raid I can do eventually, but not there yet.

That’s only 3 milestones per week. Each one gives me a piece or two of gear. How was that enough to jump you 16 points in a day?

Yea unless you had a bunch of tokens for all the NPCs to also turn in for engrams that is a crazy amount to jump in one day at that high number.

I jumped from 266 to 269 in one day.

nice.

Even then, NPCs are only giving me 265 drops with the very rare lucky drop that already has a +5 legendary mod bringing it up to 270.

I unlocked the new Warlock class for Destiny 2: The Arc Lightning Warlock. Holy shit! That special ability is something else. Soooo effective against huge crowds. I love it. I always thought the Solar Warlock was such a disappointing in Destiny 1 compared to the Void Warlock, and I think that’s still the case in Destiny 2. But this Arc Lightning Warlock is badass while being quite different.

I really hope it doesn’t take me months and months to finally find the Midas Multitool like it did in Destiny 1. That was my favorite gun, and I knew it would be my favorite since I loved Scout Rifles the best. But all my friends had it, and I never got the quest to get it for a long time.

I’m level 20 now, when do I start getting quests with Legendaries as the reward? Is it after I finish the story?

Yeah, you have to finish the campaign to get the weapon quests.